Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mountain Lion Caught in West Omaha >

Mountain Lion Caught in West Omaha

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mountain Lion Caught in West Omaha

Old 10-01-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Mountain Lion Caught in West Omaha

After years of denying that mountain lions exist or migrate this far south or east, the Nebraska State Parks and Game service will have to eat a bit of crow. The radio is reporting that a mature mountain lion has been shot and injured in West Omaha by a police officer. There were many agencies involved in the chase, including a police helicopter. The lion was only injured and is at our zoo right now and the vets say they expect it to recover from the wound. That will make many farmers unhappy, I' m sure.

My wife swore she saw one last year around this time but there were no other reported sightings, so I didn' t think more of it. About every year, though, someone comes forth saying they saw one but no tracks or sign is ever found, according the the Game Commission and DNR officers. Now they not only have tracks, they have the track maker.

I' m actually somewhat excited to know that the big cats do make it down the Missouri River Valley every now and then and could make my woods a little more ' wild' . I would love to see one in the wild, although I would likely mess my drawers if I did.[:-]
Old 10-01-2003, 03:55 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lion Caught in West Omaha

They have been there for a while by. I' m originally from Falls City and spent a great deal of time in the river bluffs. The landowner where I hunted lost a pig to one over ten years ago. I saw the tracks and the evidence. I also did/do a lot of coon hunting and a lion was treed in Fillmore, Mo at a night hunt I was attending. That is just across the river from home and that was 15 years ago. I know what you are saying though, the Game and Fish deny it. The neighbors to the property I hunted have video of a cat out there front window. Several videos taken on several occasions ten years ago. When confronted with that the Game and Fish gave the someone turned a pet loose answer. Gotta love those guys protecting our natural resources.