Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

First Time Elk Hunt

Old 08-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Default First Time Elk Hunt

Hello to all,

I had asked several month ago what all an "out of stater" might not think of taking along. I got many replies. Thank You.

Here's my list:

Licenses, tags, permits
Hoyt Xtec bow @ 70#
Carbon arrows w/ Montec broadheads
Hunting Knife
Caping knife
GPS (Garmin V) w/ extra batteries
LED headlamp w/ extra batteries
Itty Bitty LED light in case my big LED dies in the dark.
Two-way radios w/ extra batteries
Compass
Maps
Elk Bugle
Hoochie Mama cow call
Hyper something-or-other cow call
two camo pants
two camo shirts
Camo parka w/ removable shell
UnderArmor top
Smartwool socks
Two pair of boots
Scent control stuff
various lengths of Parachute cord (2-15', 1-50', 1-'100')
Tent
sleeping bag
sleeping mat
severa garbage bags
Rope
Meatbags
10'x12' tarp
food
pots and pans
G.I. Mess kit
Duct tape
UDAP bear repellant
.22 handgun for grouse
Frame backpack
FOUR OF MY FRIENDS WITH PLANS FOR A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!!!!

DAYPACK: small, internal frame backpack w/ waist belt
-Bow/arrows
-Leica binoculars
-UDAP bear spray
-LED Headlamp and small LED keychain light
-GPS/batteries
-Compass/maps
-Radio/batteries
-Elk Bugle and two cow calls
-some high energy "nibble" food
-water bottle
-Small roll Toilet paper
-Hunting knife
-Survival kit (First Aid, Space Blanket, lighter, 1 Emergency ration, whistle, 15' parachute cord, emergency strobe)
-small camera

What should I drop from the list or add too it???
Old 08-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Time Elk Hunt

Here are a couple of things I also have on my written list to remind myself:

Money
Huntersafety card
Meds (I take a prescription for altitude sickness, Rolaids for altitude sickness, ibuprophen for sore muscles, etc.)

Is your "parka with removable liner" raingear for warm weather? You could be hunting in 80 degree weather. I have seperate packable raingear that I carry in my daypack to use in warm weather (parka and pants).

Great list! Good luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM

bowmaster bow press and a extra string shot in with all your goodies on it .try and find a string out there when your hunting or even in a little town.it will save you many hunts to have one setup and ready thats if you break yours. good list
Old 08-08-2004, 10:18 PM

Wow, sounds just like my set up, down to the .22 hand gun! Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:30 AM

txhunter58,

The Parka in questian is my raingear. Without the liner I can wear in comfortably up to 60 - 70 degrees. With the liner ( and one layer thermal undies) I hunt in temps down to 0 degrees.

yup, money is in, just forgot to mention it. Thanks.

don't have a bowpress... taking a lucky rabbit foot instead.... hope those broadheads don't get "string hungry"!!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a axe or saw in the list,they do come in handy if you need to quarter a elk,or chop some wood for the ol'camp fire.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM

BareBack Jack,

Good catch!!

I went over to the gun room and pulled out my "Master list". Last night I was writing from memory.

Add to the above list:

Bow saw
Small towel
Salt/Pepper/Spices
Travel alarm clock
Biodegradable dish soap
20-60X Swarovski Spotting scope
10x42 Leica Binocs
10X28 Leica Binocs
Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 PM

Well I am assuming this is not a backpack hunt with that list of gear.

You don't mention sock liners.
Always wear two pairs of socks with an inner sock liner to wick the moisture away from your foot into your outer sock, really saves on the blisters. In steep up and down sidehill country this is important.

knife sharpener. I usually carry two small very sharp knives so I don't have to sharpen in the field if one gets dull.

The GPS I have not upgraded to this technology. If you have it take your maps and preplot your points onto the gps. Saves time later.

Add a small led flashlight for trail walking in the dark. Serious elk hunting should involve lots of hiking in the dark getting into position and then getting back to camp after last light. The headlamp is great if you end up having to skin an animal in the dark and for a backup for trail walking.
Always carry two flashlights.

You still have time to learn how to use a diaphragm call. If you learn how to use it well you can leave all those other calls at home. Less stuff, less movement.

Think layering, looks like you are. It will be cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon, more than likely.

One pair of lightweight (but strong and with ankle support) very broken in and snug (loose boots will tear your feet up in the mountains) summer boots with goretex should be your main line of footwear. Bring a backup pair of boots more suited for winter just in case you get a little snow.

After you have been hiking up and down mountains, gallons of scent control stuff would not help. But bring it if you feel it will help.

I would carry more than high energy nibble food in my daypack. Carry enough food to keep you going all day in case you decide not to return to camp. Bring a lightweight water filter to refill your water jug, or two liter sized water jugs.
Sometimes you end up further from camp than you expected and the country can be rougher than expected things can take longer than expected the elk is heavier than expected, be prepared.

Think about bringing some baby wipes in a baggie, great for the obvious in case your stuff gets wet. Can also use them for cleaning up after taking care of your animal.

Make sure your camera has a 10 second timer and pick up one of those small backpackers tripods. They are about 4 or 5" high but work great for those self time hero shots with your animal when you are by yourself.

Mosquito repellant.
Suntan lotion.
Lip stuff with sunblock.
Camp chair.
Pillow.
Ibuprofen.
Toothbrush.
Plastic silverware and paper plates.
Alarm clock battery powered.
Ear plugs, if you are a light sleeper.

You probably already have a bunch of this on an alternate list.

What I do is make one list. Check everything off as I pack it and then once everything is checked off I know it is all there and I don't have to worry about what I forgot.

Hopefully you got an idea or two out of this list. Hope you have an excellent hunt. Oh and finally after you think you are in the best shape you can be in...........get in better shape. If you are hunting public ground elk in steep country you won't believe how fast it will break you down.

Good luck on your hunt!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leave the tooth paste at home and bring the beer. Bobby
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 PM

Noway,

Thank You very much for the info.

Actually, this will be a backpack hunt.... some of the gear listed is part of the "general/shared" list. This will get split up among the others. All personal items will get packed in by that individual. So the idea is pack wisely. Backpacking in the hills seperates "needs" from "luxuries" real quick!

We have some friends from Idaho that will be hunting the Missouri Breaks also. They are bringing their own horses. They said that if we get too many elk () to pack out on our backs... they will come in with their horses and pack them out for us...

I am 26 years old. 6' and 220 lbs. I know that according to the charts this makes me "overweight"... but throw in the 42" chest 37" waist, and the fact that I'm into body-building... I have tried hiking some hills with 80lbs on my back and can do it quite well. I plan on keeping the pack UNDER 50 lbs. to hike in and am actually hoping to get it under 40lbs. I also know for a fact that a few miles and a few hills will make that 50lbs pack feel like 500lbs.

Also, the "nibble food" will be supplying 2,000 calories per day. The Emergency Ration bar supplys another 2,000. I have gone a week without eating(just drinking water) to see how my body will react. The first day is the worst. After that it is easy.

-Definitely gonna throw some chapstick in.
-the camo clothing will get pared down to one set (top and bottom) on me and the other in the pack. the rest stays in the vehicle
-I'm taking my lighter sleeping bag (0-40 degree) and leaving the heavier one (-20) at home.
- the "skeeter" repellant I have is 100% DEET in 1 oz. spritz bottles.
-I don't use a pillow, even when I sleep in a bed
-GI mess kit includes plate/tray/spoon in a compact package.

Another Questian.

I thought I had read in the Montana Hunting Regs that Nonresident Elk tag included small game such as grouse. Lately I couldn't find it and was wondering if my brain gears were slipping!! What is the regs on that? Also, are there a lot of grouse around in the "breaks".

Quick Reply: First Time Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.