HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time Elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Country Boy

Default RE: First Time Elk Hunt

Noway,

Thank You very much for the info.

Actually, this will be a backpack hunt.... some of the gear listed is part of the "general/shared" list. This will get split up among the others. All personal items will get packed in by that individual. So the idea is pack wisely. Backpacking in the hills seperates "needs" from "luxuries" real quick!

We have some friends from Idaho that will be hunting the Missouri Breaks also. They are bringing their own horses. They said that if we get too many elk () to pack out on our backs... they will come in with their horses and pack them out for us...

I am 26 years old. 6' and 220 lbs. I know that according to the charts this makes me "overweight"... but throw in the 42" chest 37" waist, and the fact that I'm into body-building... I have tried hiking some hills with 80lbs on my back and can do it quite well. I plan on keeping the pack UNDER 50 lbs. to hike in and am actually hoping to get it under 40lbs. I also know for a fact that a few miles and a few hills will make that 50lbs pack feel like 500lbs.

Also, the "nibble food" will be supplying 2,000 calories per day. The Emergency Ration bar supplys another 2,000. I have gone a week without eating(just drinking water) to see how my body will react. The first day is the worst. After that it is easy.

-Definitely gonna throw some chapstick in.
-the camo clothing will get pared down to one set (top and bottom) on me and the other in the pack. the rest stays in the vehicle
-I'm taking my lighter sleeping bag (0-40 degree) and leaving the heavier one (-20) at home.
- the "skeeter" repellant I have is 100% DEET in 1 oz. spritz bottles.
-I don't use a pillow, even when I sleep in a bed
-GI mess kit includes plate/tray/spoon in a compact package.

Another Questian.

I thought I had read in the Montana Hunting Regs that Nonresident Elk tag included small game such as grouse. Lately I couldn't find it and was wondering if my brain gears were slipping!! What is the regs on that? Also, are there a lot of grouse around in the "breaks".