HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time Elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
noway

Default RE: First Time Elk Hunt

Well I am assuming this is not a backpack hunt with that list of gear.

You don't mention sock liners.
Always wear two pairs of socks with an inner sock liner to wick the moisture away from your foot into your outer sock, really saves on the blisters. In steep up and down sidehill country this is important.

knife sharpener. I usually carry two small very sharp knives so I don't have to sharpen in the field if one gets dull.

The GPS I have not upgraded to this technology. If you have it take your maps and preplot your points onto the gps. Saves time later.

Add a small led flashlight for trail walking in the dark. Serious elk hunting should involve lots of hiking in the dark getting into position and then getting back to camp after last light. The headlamp is great if you end up having to skin an animal in the dark and for a backup for trail walking.
Always carry two flashlights.

You still have time to learn how to use a diaphragm call. If you learn how to use it well you can leave all those other calls at home. Less stuff, less movement.

Think layering, looks like you are. It will be cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon, more than likely.

One pair of lightweight (but strong and with ankle support) very broken in and snug (loose boots will tear your feet up in the mountains) summer boots with goretex should be your main line of footwear. Bring a backup pair of boots more suited for winter just in case you get a little snow.

After you have been hiking up and down mountains, gallons of scent control stuff would not help. But bring it if you feel it will help.

I would carry more than high energy nibble food in my daypack. Carry enough food to keep you going all day in case you decide not to return to camp. Bring a lightweight water filter to refill your water jug, or two liter sized water jugs.
Sometimes you end up further from camp than you expected and the country can be rougher than expected things can take longer than expected the elk is heavier than expected, be prepared.

Think about bringing some baby wipes in a baggie, great for the obvious in case your stuff gets wet. Can also use them for cleaning up after taking care of your animal.

Make sure your camera has a 10 second timer and pick up one of those small backpackers tripods. They are about 4 or 5" high but work great for those self time hero shots with your animal when you are by yourself.

Mosquito repellant.
Suntan lotion.
Lip stuff with sunblock.
Camp chair.
Pillow.
Ibuprofen.
Toothbrush.
Plastic silverware and paper plates.
Alarm clock battery powered.
Ear plugs, if you are a light sleeper.

You probably already have a bunch of this on an alternate list.

What I do is make one list. Check everything off as I pack it and then once everything is checked off I know it is all there and I don't have to worry about what I forgot.

Hopefully you got an idea or two out of this list. Hope you have an excellent hunt. Oh and finally after you think you are in the best shape you can be in...........get in better shape. If you are hunting public ground elk in steep country you won't believe how fast it will break you down.

Good luck on your hunt!!