Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muzzle break for hunting!

Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle break for hunting!

I have used the Gentry Quiet Brake(boy that is an oxymoron) and the gun was very accurate with the brake on but there was way too much muzzle blast and noise if wearing with no hearing protection while hunting. My hearing is tooooo valuable to me and I don't want to wear a pair of 3000 dollar hearing aides when I get much older because of muzzle brakes. If your a member of a gun club you won't have many members willing to sit next to you at the range(that could be good or bad), another consideration is shooting from a prone position on dry ground your going to get a face full of dirt, don't know many people that like that . The Browning Boss is even noisier(if possible) and is more trouble then its worth, I don't see many of them for sale anymore . Most of the people I know that had them got rid of them or put on the CR unit. Some people have physical ailments and can't stand the recoil of a heavy mag and need a brake(no pun intended) if your healthy and recoil is not a problem avoid them like the plaque.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I heard that this guy Ron Bartlett has some good brakes. Here is the website...

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
Old 06-24-2004, 11:57 AM

I borrowed my buddies 300 mag with a muzzle break hardly any kick at all. Bagged my bull moose with it last fall. Best thing he ever put on his gun.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM

I shoot a 300 Ultra Mag and recently had a brake installed www.muzzlebrake.com/prd_mzb.html . Best $185 ever spent. Cut the recoil by half and also included a thread protector so when hunting, you can remove the brake and put this on. Let's face it, when you're taking the shot, you don't feel the recoil or really hear the blast. But, with the brake in place while hunting, you can and will do some hearing damage. For me, it's allowed me to do allot more shooting without building the 'flinch' that comes with high recoil, and a 300 Ultra has some recoil. Now it's like shooting a .308 just loud as all get out. I'll remove the brake for hunting and be allot better off for all the practice time at the range. Nice brake, beautiful work, and it's functional! Happy Shooting
Old 06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

also included a thread protector so when hunting, you can remove the brake and put this on.

Many rifles shoot to a different point of impact when you remove the muzzle brake so the gun must be sighted in without the muzzle brake.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:29 AM

Stubble, that may be true on some rifles but I've shot mine both with and w/o the brake and it shoots the same point every shot. The brake sure cuts the recoil though and allows you to spend alot more time on the bench punching holes. And lets face it, the more time spent on the bench, the better off we are in the field. IMHO
Old 06-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

And lets face it, the more time spent on the bench, the better off we are in the field. IMHO
While shooting off the bench certainly helps,my opinion is that the more time that you spend shooting under field conditions,the better off you will be come hunting season.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't want a muzzle break on my gun. It wouldn't perform very well with a broken muzzle now would it?

But I would put a muzzle brake on my gun. It reduces felt recoil, but only if you wear ear protection. Half the recoil is from the shockwave of sound hitting your eardrums.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM

The link that Trailer provided pretty much sums up my thoughts on muzzle brakes.

Vinny
Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 AM

I would range test any new rifle and if I felt that I could profit from a brake dampening the recoil, I would have one installed. I had one on a 300RUM. On my new 7mmWSM, I do not need one.

Quick Reply: Muzzle break for hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.