Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus) >

They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

Old 06-21-2004, 07:27 PM

Default They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

There arethirty threeseparate incidents of Death/Injury and Dangerous Game with some commentary by HuntingNet members sprinkled in between (some interesting denial by HNI members but no stats to back it up):

(1) Page 1 (Top) - American PH's wife gored by a Cape Buffalo,
(2) Page 2 (Top) - Canadian Outfitter killed by a Cape Buffalo while hunting Plains Game,
(3) Page 2 (Top) - Eight killed and 600 forced to flee by a herd of marauding Elephants,
(4) Page 2 (Mid) - Two killed by hippos in a river crossing,
(5) Page 2 (Mid) - PH gored by a Cape Buffalo and shot by his client,
(6) Page 2 (Mid) - Death Tally from Zimbabwae (a small country)
(7) Page 2 (Low) - Lion Kill Tally from Tanzania (just around the capital city)....
(8) Page 2 (Low) - Elephant kills PH.
(9) Page 3 (Top) - Elephant kills smallbore "enthusiast"
(10) Page4 (Top) - Humans, The New Bush Meat!
(11) Page 4 (Top) - PH and Client gored by Cape Buffalo and saved by tracker

(12) Page 4 (Mid)- Italian Client killed by elephant -PH & Camera Man Survive
(13) Page 4 (Low) - Small Game Hunting? Don't Leave TheTruck Without Your DGR
(14) Page 4 (Low) - 2 Lion Maulings, 2 Elephant Kills
(15) Page 4 (Low) - Leopard Mauling
(16) Page 5 (High) - Recap of Several Incidents involoving PHs and Clients
(17) Page 5 (High) - PH gored byCape Buffalo, earlier mauled by a lion
(18) Page 5 (Mid) - Lion Attacks
(19) Page 5 (Mid) - Lion Attack
(20)Page 5 (Mid) - Elephant Kills Brit
(21) Page 5 (Mid) - Cape Buffalo Attack
(22) Page 5 (Mid) - Lion Attack Injures Nine
(23) Page 5 (Low) - Gemsbok Kills American
(24) Page 5 (Low) - National Wild Animal Death Statistics: Mozambique& Tanzania
(25)Page 5 (Low) - Elephant Kills Hunter
(26) Page 5 (Low) - Elephant Kills Husband
(27) Page 5 (Low) - Cape Buffalo Kills Three
(28) Page 5 (Low) - 37 Killed in Mozambique By Wild Animals
(29) Page 5 (Low) - Cape Buffalo Kills Man
(30)Page 5 (Low) - Tracker Killed By Bull Elephant
(31) Page 5 (Low) - Two Staff Killed By Elephant
(32) Page 5 (Low) - Leopard Mauls Hunter/Client
(33)Page 5 (Low) - Leopard Mauls PH
==========================================

NUMBER ONE:

We had talked about this kind of stuff a month or two ago, and the general concensus in our NA group (not shared by me) seemed to be that "that kind of stuff just don't happen" and "the PH is there, thus anyone can do it and there is no risk".

Just a little tidbit from an AccurateReloading.com poster:

"Heard this morning from the wife of a Zim PH that Keith Atcheson's wife, Niki, was gored by a wounded buffalo at Chirisa Safari Area. The incident occured this morning as they were following up a buffalo that was wounded yesterday. She was being flown out from Chirisa today. No word on the severity of her injuries. Thought everyone might like to know and to say a prayer for her return home."
EKM
Old 06-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad News

Don't know who that is, but anyone could use a prayer for something like that. She has mine.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea who that is either but best hopes and wishes of an speedy recovery to her.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:16 AM

Dangerous Game

Here is the PH report of what happened [even though it is rumored no-one gets hurt hunting with a PH], I have noticed several "deer/car" accident reports here in NA; however, IMHO somehow that just doesn't qualify:
----------------------------
NUMBER ONE --- FOLLOW UP:

INCIDENT REPORT

CLIENTS NAME: Keith and Nikki Atkinson
PROFESSIONAL HUNTER: George Hallamore
DATE OF INCIDENT: Monday 14th June
AREA: Chirisa safari area

A Buffalo Bull was wounded by Mrs Atkinson on the 13th of June 2004 at approximately 8.30 am. Followed the blood trail throughout the day but never saw the buffalo, stopped following at 6.00pm. Resumed tracking at 6.00 am on the 14th of June on the Sengwa River. Tracking became very difficult spoor was not visible due to the terrain but there was a sporadic blood trail which we followed. We lost the blood trail when we came upon a very small opening with a large bush with lots of long grass. Two trackers went to the left of the bush while myself; one tracker and both Mr and Mrs Atkinson and the game scout went to the right of the bush to see if we could pick up a blood trail again.

The trackers on the left of the bush signalled to us that the Buffalo was lying in the bush. Literally as they signalled the buffalo came charging out and I had already started going towards them. I fired one shot when it was directly in front of me and another when it brushed passed me. I turned to fire a third shot and saw Mrs Atkinson in the air, I fired from behind the buffalo. The client was on the ground and the buffalo was now broadside ramming her with his head. I shot the buffalo again, Mr Atkinson fired a couple of shots and I reloaded my gun and fired a shot. The Buffalo fell on top of Mrs Atkinson, I shouted for everyone, the trackers came, the game scout came and we pulled the buffalo off her and it was still moving its head so I fired another shot into its head.

I then assessed Mrs Atkinson’s injuries, she was lying on her front, she was conscious, it looked like her wrist was broken and her collar bone and there was a hole in the back of her leg, about mid thigh. I sent a tracker back to the vehicle to radio the camp manager and tell him to radio the Harare office for MARS. Meanwhile I tore up the trackers overalls and bandaged the hole in Mrs Atkinson’s thigh and made a splint for her wrist. I also made a splint for her leg, as I was not sure if it was broken. We cut down two small trees and used them and the tarpaulin to make a stretcher. The tracker that was sent to radio the manager was not able to cross the river so he had to go around. He arrived at the same time as the camp manager, who had brought a mattress and a duvet; this was about 45 minutes after the accident.

By this time she was delirious, we moved her to the vehicle and left for the airstrip. We travelled slowly as the roads are bad and arrived at 11 am the Mars plane arrived approximately 15 minutes later. They took over and left about 2 hours later.

This whole incident took place within a space of seven paces and was extremely quick.

SIGNED:
George Hallamore
Old 07-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I ever go to Africa, I think I will stick to plains game. That sounds HORRIBLE!!![] Is there word on how she is doing?
Old 07-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope she gets better, still wow!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 PM

That is terrible, but if it were up to me as to how I would die, that has always been the way I want to go. Tracking dangerous game in Africa (hopefully not wounded) and having it destroy me.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

that has always been the way I want to go.
Id rather go quickly Anyway I hope Mrs Atchisin recovers from her enjuries 100%
Old 07-05-2004, 02:38 PM

I to hope that Mrs. Acheson has a fast and complete recovery.

For those who have not heard about this incident go over to the www.accuratereloading.com look under African Hunting forum.

By the accounts of some people that buffalo absorbed a lot of hits by some pretty powerfull rifles. .375 H&H, .416 Rigbys, maybe even .458 Lott, before dropping...only to have to be head shot by th PH after it was down.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:09 PM

Neweboarhunter,

Good research on your part over at the accuratereloading.com site. As I understand it she was just a little gal and this was not her first cape buffalo. You got to admire her spunk for not listening to the naysayers and using a 458 Lott. Even though folks "over here" get a knot in their panties at the mention of 375's, 416's, and 458's (or larger), over there (Africa) they are common place tools of the trade and used by all, both large and small.

From what I understand given a wounded Cape Buffalo with everything playing out in a distance of 7 paces, the only thing that will save someone getting injured or wounded is a hit on the CNS with a worthy cartridge capable of penetrating thru whatever might be between one and the CNS, given the shot opportunity and "right now".

Kinda puts new meaning to the old tired refrain "dead is dead". Yes, dead is dead and what happens between the shot and "dead"? With rare exception, no big deal in NA.... a little different story over there.

They DO call it Dangerous Game Hunting for a reason, good reasons FOR hunting with a PH AND NOT hunting by yourself.

IMHO, it IS a whole different class of hunting.
Not simply a function of economics.... No, there is something MORE to it.

EKM

Quick Reply: They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.