Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus) >

They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

They Are Taking A Beating In Africa (33 plus)

Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Bad News

Gotta be careful. Take everything you know about hunting and times it by 10 for big game.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hear that life there is even tougher on the critters

Hunting is really quite safe compared to many sports. One must remember that 6000 people a year in the U.S. are killed by falls in and around their home. Makes hunting safer than those Honey-Do choirs.. Every hunter know the risks of hunting and chooses to do so anyway. Its a fact of the life. Good Luck where you hunt.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....I hear that life there is even tougher on the critters.... "
Goal driven individuals,
Serious hunters,
Well armed (gov't cartridge restrictions apply in many areas),
Well financed and
Well organized logistics and pursuit....

Yes, these hunting groups appear to take a toll on African Game.... that is probably the idea.... right up to the government quotas for game management,then after that....

Africa's serious predators go to work on the survivors for the rest of the time....
Per HardCoreHunter's great clip with the cape buffalo calf and the lions and the crocodile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

Unlike some of the "other" hunting venues one can choose, the tables seem to get turned on hunters in Africaabit, read about it fairly consistently (with many further incidents going unreported).

It appears that having the option of holding onto the PH's skirt (ifone is feeling insecure)or choosing to justtarget "plains game" is no guarantee of safety either....reference Bob Fontana #2, Page 2 (Top)on this latter point.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

HEY, Huinting and guaretee don't mix. If it did it would all be canned hunting. Hunters take their chances no matter where they hunt. There is tiddely winks for those who won't take the chance.. Most of those guys love the danger, makes them feel like Rambo.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....HEY, Huinting and guaretee don't mix. If it did it would all be canned hunting. Hunters take their chances no matter where they hunt...."
As we've seen on some of the videos on this very site, when it comes to African DG, even the canned hunts (like the canned lion hunt)don't guaranteeone willget justthe experience and just the resultoneexpects.
================================================== =

Ah, first you say....
"Hunting is really quite safe compared to many sports...."
and then you say....
"....Most of those guys love the danger, makes them feel like Rambo...."
"Really quite safe" or "love the danger" ---quite different stances, whichposition are you going to stick with?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I stand by both. hunting is safer than many sports. All hunting is somewhat dangerous and uncertain. I think its part of the hunting instinct. I guess the thing to me is that if a certain type of hunting involves danger and people choose to do it anyway I guess it their own tough luck if they come out second now and then. The easy alternative is to stay home. Now its different for someone who lives there without a choice and is attack by the local critters. Everyone faces problems regardless of where they live. People have hunted since there was one man and one tasty animal. and S*#t happens. Always will
Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting itself is really quite safe. It's the peripheral risks from just being out there that get people. Doesn't matter what you're doing, hunter, fishing, skiing, hiking, rock climbing etc, all have much the same risk just from being in that environment, which to some people is a very unfamiliar one, especially the bush.

In other words, in terms of probability, it's rarely that the animal gets you, it's usually something far less glamorous, slipping with a knife, falling and breaking a leg etc etc.

I'd prefer hunting dangerous game, I only pray that some day I'll get the chance. Too many thingsin life are idiot-proof and people have forgotten what it's like to live, to know fear, to know something other than the endless averageness that is their everyday lives. There is no feeling like plucking your life from the jaws of serious injury/death. There aren't many more noble things a man can do than pit their shooting/tracking skills against something that can turn the tables in a heart beat.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, thats the feeling many get and as you say sometimes the tables are turned and that is as it should be. When you put yourself in danger, be it hunting a large animal or riding a bull (which statistics show more dangerous than hunting) You will sometimes come out second.

As far as other hunting having a degree of averageness, thats a matter of opinion and for those who don't enjoy it by all means stay out of the way of those who do.. I have hunted for nearly everything and enjoy it all. Hope everyone else does the same.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I would think thats part of the rush hunting somthing that can take you out ,kind of like jumping out of airplanes, bull riding and so on you know the chances just willing to take it for the experiance .
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a follow-up story on satellite about this Niki Anderson and her husband. She wounded this Cape Buffalo on one day, which they tracked until later in the day, when it was no longer "safe" to track such a wounded dangerous animal. [If there is a safe time to do so.]
They returned to the area the next day a started tracking the buffalo. Apparently, this wounded beast was also in effect tracking them.
It came around from the side or behind them charging straight at the group, then all of a sudden it veared off to the side and headed straight for this Niki, the one who'd wounded it the day before. They said it appeared that it singled her out to try to kill. I don't know, but it was pretty hair raising re-enactment.

Another film made about a true story early in the 20th century I believe was called "The Ghost and the Darkness". It was about a couple of man killing/eating lions that this Engineer who was sent to Africa to build a railroad bridge had to track down to kill. Very very scary to think such predators can be so smart and deadly.