Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A little confused

Old 02-22-2002, 12:58 PM

Default A little confused

I know that you get a lot of stupid questions so here’s one more. Please bear (pun) with me. I have been hunting small game for a long time but this coming season I am taking my son on our first dear hunt. I want him to have a good time and look forward to the next season so I have been studying videos and reading books. I have to say that the hunting community are among the finest people that I have had the pleasure to deal with. Every question that I have posted received numerous and invaluable information and I thank you for your hospitality. Now for the dumb question: If I am hunting from a tree-stand I should be downwind right? Yet if I am using scent lures wouldn’t I want them to be upwind so that the buck is lured to the area? Do I setup up wind and use a commercial scent masker and count on disguising the human scent. I am a little confused. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
[email protected]
Old 02-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A little confused

Good question.First as a new deer hunter ,dont put alot of faith in lures.Yes they can work at the right time of year .But First is keeping the wind in your favor so a deer cant smell you.You Dont put deer lure on your body .You put it on the ground in a scrape and then position your self so the deer can smell the lure but not you.If you put tinks 69 on yourself ,the horny buck could climb the tree to get to you. And deer do look up.No sense educating them anymore by directing them to yourself in the tree.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the other guys on this one, if ya try to use scent lures, it has to be the right time of year for the lure to work, if not, could do more harm than good, and as far as cover scents, I believe that controlling your scent by showering with scent free soap, wash your clothes in scent free soap, avoid sweating on the way to your stand, wear run=bber boots, avoid touching anything in the direct area where you're sitting, etc. does more good than all the marketed lures, scents. If ya do try lure scents, try to place yourself so that a cross wind would be prevalant to your scents, so as to make it so that the deer have to smell the lure before crossing downwind of your scent trail. This is not a "dumb" question. Keeping your scent out of the deers nose and fooling him with a "fake" scent is a key to success.Like Bullhunter said, "smell ya once", that's all it takes to spoil the hunt.Good Luck! Also, remember, putting yourself up a tree helps get your scent away from the ground level, so this does give ya an advantage to start with!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not worry about lure scents unless you will be hunting the peak of the rut. If you do use a lure, put it upwind from you and where the deer are likely to come.

Otherwise simply use a cover scent only. Personally I use skunk as it is the only one that I have found to really cover my scent. Obviously you do not want to put it on yourself, just put a small amout on a cotton ball and enclose it in a 35 mm film container. Then simply open the container and set it next to you (downwind) when you hunt.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:41 AM
RNZ

Topcop you can be sorta downwind while having your scent upwind at the same time. Let's say the wind is from the west, put your scent directly to the west of the trail, cover, or area you expect the deer to be in or approach from. Your stand however, can be set up 20, 50, 200 yards (whatever) directly north or south of your scent. In this fashion your scent will be carried in a path either north or south of where you expect the deer to be coming from. Also by setting your stand closer to this cover, instead of directly north or south of the scent, the deer will eventually walk upwind of you if it is attracted by the scent.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:19 AM
Spike

Topcop,

Not to rain on the parade but forget about the scents.. If you are hunting in PA, then you would need to be on a large chunk of private land..Our farm is in a special place and still the pressure makes hunting there like herding cattle back and forth for a shot...Wind direction will play a part regarding your scent, but as for luring NOT....If you follow a few simple rules you should be okay..Clean and scent free clothes.., Down wide of the area you are hunting, good field of view, enough practice to ensure your ability for a quick shot.. and lastly patience...Park you butt with chow and do not move until dark..Dawn to dusk...You will see more deer than the majority of your competition because you are there...Also, they will move the deer for you...Good luck..
Old 03-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

You say you are reading and watching videos re. deer hunting. Great way to learn about it. There must be some good videos out there on the use of scents.
I don't use them much but I have used them to stop a buck so I could get a shot.

I was once watching an oilfield road and a narrow pipeline that crossed it at right angles. I drove down the road, spraying (sex) scent out the window as I went. Then I walked down the pipeline spraying scent allong it. Back at my ground blind I waited a couple hours and out stepped the buck I was after on the pipeline. He stood with his nose in the air sniffing the scent as I got my scope on him and desided he was the one I wanted.

Another way I have used scent is like this. If the wind is from the west (as it usually is in my area), I put out film containers with scent, a little to the south of my stand and a little to the north. Any deer traveling on a north south course (or vis versa) will get into the scent stream of the scent I put out before they hit my scent stream. They may follow it to where I see them.

Robin
Old 03-05-2002, 04:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I know that you get a lot of stupid questions so here’s one more. Please bear (pun) with me. I have been hunting small game for a long time but this coming season I am taking my son on our first dear hunt. I want him to have a good time and look forward to the next season so I have been studying videos and reading books. I have to say that the hunting community are among the finest people that I have had the pleasure to deal with. Every question that I have posted received numerous and invaluable information and I thank you for your hospitality. Now for the dumb question: If I am hunting from a tree-stand I should be downwind right? Yet if I am using scent lures wouldn’t I want them to be upwind so that the buck is lured to the area? Do I setup up wind and use a commercial scent masker and count on disguising the human scent. I am a little confused. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
[email protected]

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 03-05-2002, 04:12 PM

I ALSO USE A SMALL AMOUNT OF &quot;DEER LURE&quot; BUT I USE IT ONLY TO STOP THE DEER.
YOUR MAIN PROBLEM IS YOUR SENT.
I WASH MY CAMO AFTER EVERY HUNT THEN PUT IN A ZIP LOCK BAG
I ALSO USE A COVER SENT LIKE A FALL EARTH