Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears >

338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Old 06-12-2004, 03:43 PM

Default RE: BARRETT 50 BMG FOR BROWN BEARS...LOL...

The problem is not will a .30-06 kill a bear, of course it will. The problem is how LONG will it take a .30-06 to kill the bear, and do you have to go into the alders after it. Regardless, you are conivineced otherwise, so nothing I say will change your mind. However, if you ever come up here, please listen to your guide
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 PM

I've been reading all thes posts and have to say I go towards the heavy side. I know people kill all kinds of animals with 243's, BB guns whatever, but if the animal can kill you, wouldnt you rather err to the large side? It dont matter what animal you are hunting, choosing proper bullet construction and proper bulet placement are vital.. However, if a animal that can kill you is coming after you, he may not give you that shot placement. In that case I would want the biggest, baddest gun I can handle and shoot. I haven't hunted brownies or grizzlies either, but I hope to someday, and I see that as a great excuse for a new rifle (sooner the better for practice right?) and I think a 375 H&H will be the choice... Big suprise I go bigger, I work on tanks that shoot a 120mm round, and there second largest weapon is a 50 cal!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 AM

wahunterinro,

Makes sense to me. However you have to understand that when folks write "internet hunting" they envision "perfect hunting" and sense "perfect safety" (the fireside computer) so there is always someone ready to do the "job" with the BB gun you mentioned.

Only 1% will ever make the trip so there is probably no real harm done. Those that do go will likely make serious preparations on par with the serious money they are spending. MOST of the rest is fiction to be taken with a grain of salt.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 07-01-2004, 03:01 PM

Default RE: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Man, you guys really skinned Mr. 243 alive - I wonder if you all will need a .375 Magnum knife to slice out the steaks. HEEHee!