Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears >

What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears

Old 04-29-2006, 07:10 PM

Default What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears

Starting plans on Alaskan Brown Bear hunt, and just wondering if my 338- 378 Wby is a good choice ? Otherwise I might have to buy a new gun, and I'd really hate that.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears

Yup, you definitely have enough gun. That will be a good choice.

Make sure you use premium bullets, nosler partition, etc., and practice shooting a lot.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but so is every other caliber from the .30 Mags on up to the 700 Nitro Express. I do have to admit that the .338-338WBYwould put a major slam on any bear. I myself like the .375 Remington Ultra Mag if I got lucky enough and could afford to go on a kodiak bear hunt.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Buy another gun 'cause more guns is a good thing; but what you have is a VERY good round for what you are doing. I actually think that going Brown bear hunting is too dangerous for you and I will grudgingly take your place for you
Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 AM

If I had a 338\378 thats what I would use but if not I would buy a 375 rum. Last year in Ak. me and my buddy were just finishing butchering my moose when a bear comes out of the bush at less then 50 yds. I grabbed the nearest gun ,my buddys 375rum, my 300win mag was on the other side of the moose near the bear my buddy looks for any gun when he sees my reaction then he sees the bear near ,he then runs behind me.That when I realize it's a black bear and it begains to eat the fat we piled up beside the head . I ask him if he wants it ,he said he only has a moose tag and he's not using it on a bear. I had a carbou tag left so I decided to shoot it . When I hit him though the shoulder it lifed him up in the air and floped him completly over were he landed 15 feet from where he was, stone dead.I was very impressed with the cal.and knew I would have to have it some day for a grezz hunt that I can only dream about at this time. because of guide fees. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM

The other gun I was considering buying for this hunt was a 378 WBY. I've always had great success with WBY until recently (see, need help accuracy post) and have been very impressed with the knock down power. I know the 300 UM and 300 WBY are very similar ballistics wise, I wonder how the 375 and 378 Wby compare. Although I'm probably done with WBY guns, I will still use their calibers in other gun makers.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'd have to bring my 375 H&H mag, I think it would kill one plenty dead...
Old 04-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

I would like to try my .416 Rigby on one.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

dayna0306, neat story how big is your moose and did you take pics that you could show us?Also just soI understand you could use your cabou tag on a black bear correct or am I wrong?Here in Idaho out of staters can use their deer tag on bears if they so choose.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would feel fine with the Marlin 45-70.

Quick Reply: What Cal. for Alaskan Brown Bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.