Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Caribou Hunters - advice please! >

Caribou Hunters - advice please!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou Hunters - advice please!

Old 06-29-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Caribou Hunters - advice please!

Hello!

Well, I thought after taking a moose last fall that the "travel-to-hunt" bug would be satisfied for at least a few years. I was dead wrong!!!!! I am very interested in caribou hunting and would like to consider a hunt for '05. My questions at this point are:

Does anyone have an outfitter/guide that they would recommend? I'm thinking that a hunt in Quebec (George River Herd) would be the best (for me) since I am coming from the east coast. I will probably need something with decent accomodations and food, because the girlfriend is interested in hunting as well.

Thank you for any advice that you have!! Please feel free to email me if you don't want to post directly. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou Hunters - advice please!

Don't rule out Newfoundland. This will be my third year (01', 03', and 04') with the same outfitter - Snowshoe Lake Hunting & Fishing. Ron Hicks is the owner/manager. Comfortable lodge and I think it would be perfect for a female companion. If you want more info, let me know.

. . . Rob
Old 06-29-2004, 05:58 AM

Thanks, Rob! The caribou in Newfoundland are the woodland caribou, correct? I understand these are smaller than their migratory "barren ground" cousins? Are they different subspecies?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 AM

I bagged 2 real nice bull caribou with Safari Nordik we hunted the Leaf River Heard. WWW.safarinordik.com I also bagged a real nice bull moose in Newfoundland last oct. With Patey and Sons outfitters.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Newfoundland has the Woodland subspecies. These do have smaller more compact racks, as they move through the forrest - hence the name "Woodland". I have read that their body size is larger than most of the other subspecies with the exception of the Mountain caribou, but I have never hunted the others so I can tell you from first hand experience.

They also aren't as migratory as the Q/L. To a certain extent they do move towards the southern part of the island, but there really isn't a migration like the others.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don`t rule out Manitoba either.You are allowed two here. Try.....

www.Travelmanitoba.ca
www.Travelcanada.ca

Ron
Old 07-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'm booked w/Jack Hume Adventures for Sept 9-15, 05. Pumped!

VicW.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:52 AM

How far in advance is it generally necessary to book?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quality outfitters can be booked a year or more in advance. You may get lucky and find a cancellation for the time period you want to go. Most caribou hunts are from mid August to mid September. Newfoundland hunts can go into November. Meat can be VERY strong if the caribou is taken during the rut, usually the first 3 weeks of Oct. You may find openings during this time period, but if the meat is important to you beware. By the way, caribou meat is some of the finest table fare you will taste.

Ask alot of questions and check references.

. . . Rob

Quick Reply: Caribou Hunters - advice please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.