Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Poll: Draw Blood = Filled Tag >

Poll: Draw Blood = Filled Tag

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Poll: Draw Blood = Filled Tag

Old 02-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Poll: Draw Blood = Filled Tag

I was on a $1250 lease in south Texas that allowed me to take only one buck. Fired what I knew was a fatal shot at a nice 10 pointer, but took it right at dark just before a blue norther brought a big rainstorm. Didn't find him that night or the next day. As far as I was concerned, my tag was filled. Even though the lease allowed me to take another buck, I just couldn't bring myself to keep hunting. Found the rack several weeks later. I have it nailed to the barn in an out of the way place, but all it reminds me of is my failure as a hunter. I get no pleasure from the nice rack.
Every experienced hunter has had a similiar story TXhunter so don't feel bad....

I believe that such a policy would reduce the chances of people taking low percentage shots for fear of wounding an animal
People that aren't familiar with their firearms and capabilities as well as their own physical/mental capabilities shouldn't be booking expensive hunts where Murphy's law is sometimes the only law. Put people in this situation and your asking for failure because of their expectations after shelling out a small fortune for a hunt.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken a few animals in Africa. The outfitter I used told me before I booked the hunt if I wounded a animal they cosidered that tag filled. I did not wound any animals on that hunt but I always had that thought in the back of my mind.
I think it's a good policy.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I like the policy. Hard to enforce unless it's the outfitter that does it. Otherwise it's pretty much on an honor system.
I'm like most of you guys. If I wound an animal I put every effort into finding it. It's only happened once tha I didn't recovery one. I put an arrow too low and forward on a small buck and spent the next two days looking for it. I say him a week later, none the worse for wear. Made me feel a lot better.
The policy is quite common with many outfitters in my area. What I have seen on some outfitters sites that I don't like is when an outfitter specifies that a lost animal is a tag filler but for an extra X amount of dollars a guy can buy another tag. Then to me that is just a money grab. Not a real concern for the animals.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 PM

My dad shot at a bear and didn't recover it. He has continually beat him self up for 2 years now. He hasn't hunted since. Will go out with me, but never with a tag in his pocket or a gun in his hand. I think i will be able to convince him to get back into it this year.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:21 AM

I appreciate and respect your dad's remorse -- sign of ethics. On the other hand enough is enough. Crap does some times happen. Time to move on. I hope you are successful.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM