Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need a recommendation >

Need a recommendation

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a recommendation

Old 10-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Need a recommendation

Good Day All!

Was wondering if you kind folks woulnt mind helping me out with a bit of information.

I' d like to buy a rifle. Here' s what I know I want as far as attributes:

Chambered for .338[:-]
Stainless Steel
Composite Stock
bipod

I can find bolt-actions all day long but would really like a semi automatic.

Does one exist and where? Links would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a recommendation

The closest your going to get is the Browning BAR...and it' s a very fine rifle.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:48 PM

Ditto Browning BAR
They make one with a synthetic stock and stainless action but I think the barrel is not stainless, not sure.
I have a friend who has a BAR in 7mag and he takes an elk with it every year and it never jams.
They are a little heavy, but with a .338 that may be a good thing, plus the action takes out a lot of the recoil as well.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Browning BAR Safari comes in 338 Win. Mag. It is not stainless or synthetic though.

http://browning.com/products/catalog...31&type_id=001

Just wondering why you want or need a .338 in semi auto? That' s usually not a cartridge chambered in a semi auto rifle. This is just my opinion but I think a bolt action would serve you much better than an auto in a caliber like a 338.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with bigbulls...If one is careful and picks the first shot well, there' s little need for a follow up shot....and with a .338 you will definitely be re aiming...it' s a very powerful cartridge. However by the same token you can take the same first shot with a BAR as well as a Bolt.

When I was much younger all the rifles was lever action and a few pumps. Those with bolt actions was looked at as the ones that couldn' t afford a real rifle.

I think today the king of actions is the bolt action because of it' s reliability and accuracy.

This reminds me of a story my father told me.....you have two barrels on that gun not so that you can shoot twice at a pheasant.....but so that you can shoot two pheasants if they should get up.

The Browning BAR is known to be a very accurate rifle...have at it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:15 PM

I myself, if I was buying a rifle chambered for the .338, would go with the nicest bolt action/scope combo you could. I think that to really realize the potential of that round you should go with a bolt. Nothing against the BAR' s, but there really is nothing on this continent that a .338 won' t take with a well placed shot. If money is not too much of a consideration, take a look at them .338/378 Weatherby' s. That thing is as hot as they come. Otherwise, I would take a look at Remingtons, Winchesters, and Rugers, and find a scope that will take that kind of abuse, as well as let you reach out and see the potential that the round has. Keep us up to date!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all the posts above; a bolt action will serve one better. I would look at a .340 Wby. Mag., or .338-378 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:19 PM

I' d go with a Ruger #1, stainless/laminated stock. One shot, one kill...... unless you can reload really fast!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:43 AM

To noway:

The Browning looks like a really nice rifle. I especially like the idea of the muzzle break. My only question is: is it possible to have one custom made with a stainless barrel by Browning or do I have to take it somewhere and have the barrell made.

btw....does anyone know where I can get one of those ' sleeves' made to cover the rifle. I am going to put a descent sized scope on this baby and havent seen anything that looks like it would fit.

[:-]
Old 10-02-2003, 07:00 AM

My last duty assignment in the U.S. Army, prior to retirement, was with the Noncommissioned Officer' s Academy at Fort Richardson, Alaska. I was assigned as the Operations Sergeant and the Academy Commandant was a Command Sergeant Major. The CSM purchased a Browning BAR chambered for .338 Winchester Magnum specifically for a Brown Bear hunt to Kodiak Island. He took a nice Brown Bear using 225 grain Remington Corelokts, (if my memory is correct). One shot to the shoulder/lungs, and a quick finisher through the skull. I distinctly remember looking at the skull later with a silver dollar sized hole through it! He also used that rifle, with a Harris bipod attached, down at King Salmon to take several nice Caribou. It was a nicely accurate rifle...with a very " soft" recoil for the caliber...(Browning' s gas operating system). He never had any problems or malfunctions with that rifle, but he was fairly meticulous about caring for it. I remember talking with him at that time (about 1993) about the possibility of having it refinished with a " brushed electroless nickel" finish. Similar to matte stainless but a little more dark gray in appearance. I retired in May, 1994, and do not know if he ever had it refinished or not.

I am not sure if Browning offers the BAR .338 Win Mag in a finish other than blue steel and wood. But I know there are any number of " after market" options for a more durable finish. (Electroless nickel, teflon, etc.) They are all good looking in their own right...and very durable. Also I believe there are several manufacturers that offer after market synthetic replacement stocks for the BAR, (maybe even some in camo).

The number of scopes suitable for such a combination is almost endless! More to do with your preference than for " any lack of availability" !

Good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: Need a recommendation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.