Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Packing out meat??? (pics) >

Packing out meat??? (pics)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Packing out meat??? (pics)

Old 12-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Packing out meat??? (pics)

What do you guys use to haul meat out??? If it's any distance to the truck I bone them out and use a pack frame. With my last muley, for the first time I boned it out without gutting it, going in from the back side - it worked great!

I have an ultra-light, aluminum pack frame that is specifically designed for hunting. It collapses into a fanny pack or a small part of your day pack and assembles in less that 2 minutes. It is called the Port-A-Pack, made by Secret Creek. It one of the lightest collapsable frames in the world. It will easily carry anything that you can! (Actually, I have an extra one that I'm selling one asking $115US. My email [email protected] if you're interested.)

Here's a pic of it loaded (this ain't me)...
Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Packing out meat??? (pics)

Congratulations!!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

It don't take too much to imagine a walker in yer hands in place of the rifle. My sympathies for all the pain yer gonna have in yer old age. Back when I was a backpacker, the rule was that if it affects yer posture, the load's too big or the pack don't fit.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

BJ - (don't swallow You mean an old age walker like this...

If I ever get old and ornery enough to need a mule I'll quit hunting. My father in law is 65 and we packed out our elk last year, on our backs. He was the first mountain guide registered in Canada and still kicks my ass! How old are you? Are your hunting areas walker accessible?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Innovative.
We often carry whole carcasses. ( Up to 250 pound.) by making a slit in the rear leg hock tendons and cutting the front leg hocks so they are hanging only by sinews. Then thread the front hocks through the rear hock slits.
The carcass then sits on your back like a "Back-Pack"
The rear legs protrude forward like handle bars, and give you somewhere to rest your rifle.
Wish I had a photo in digital format to show you.
Last one I carried like this was 220 pounds, luckily I only had to carry it 300 yards to a clearing where we flew it out with a helicoptor.
Yeah my posture was about the same as the guy in the first photo, and that was the day after..L.O.L.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Tim, Wow, that's the hard way for sure. I did it once with a small muley buck up this 150 yard steep bank from a river. I was literally crawling at times and barely made it... that broke me down. I couldn't imagine a big one!