Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 NEED A MAGNUM FOR BIG GAME?? >

NEED A MAGNUM FOR BIG GAME??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NEED A MAGNUM FOR BIG GAME??

Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 AM

Default RE: NEED A MAGNUM FOR BIG GAME??

Plainsman,

In answer to your Q' s.
By the numbers, a 338 is nipping right at a 375HH' s heels. At the bench, the 375HH " jumps" significantly more. In the field, the " slap down" factor with a 375HH, to me, is significantly more than the energy numbers between a 338 and a 375 would indicate.

On the other hand, 338WinMag ammo is common and cheap, it is available in a medium length action rifles, kick is moderate, and the rifles are generally lighter which helps in tough terrain and they have plenty of penetration and slap down factor for N.A.

If I had to pick one between 338WinMag and 375HH and give up the other, then I would truly be in a quandry.
---------------------------------------

If you are serious about " Kodiak or Afoganuk Island for the big bear" then here is the question. Given that THOSE bears can bite and hunt back, are you going to wait until you actually draw the tag and then in the six months between the draw and the season go about the business of rounding up the $$$, buying the rifle, scoping, practicing with it and THEN go after Mr. Brown Bear with NO KILLS under your belt? OR Would it be wiser to acquire the rifle, get it tuned up, put some kills under your belt on other game like elk or moose and THEN put your life in harms way?

EKM
Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 AM

I hope this doesnt sound like a bunch of babbling, but here goes,-- I own two rifles that i use for deer one is rem 308 and the other is a brown 7mm mag. I have only shot two deer with them(one with each) my 308 was the first ' new rifle i ever bought-had the choice of that or 30-06. as said you can see which one i chose, as for my mag, I didnt buy for an one-up(if i may say so) its just a caliber that i have always wanted, then throw in its maker, Im very happy with it, I also shoot it very well too. In the last two years i' ve lost count on how many people have told me ' It' s too much gun' , 75% of them are all older generation-(i' m only 30) the other 25% are just scared of it. I posted ? here and in another board asking what others thoughts were on using my mag for whitetail and blk bear, 99.9% said that it was just fine and wasnt too much. I beleive that like already stated in post before me, that its just times are changing and people are going with it, IE going with larger calibers too keep up with pressures that come with the changing times. Granted that the others wrk-270-308-30-06, they still kill, maybe its just the thought of that added reach out and touch that makes the mags more appealing. thats just my thoughts. sorry if this didnt make alot sense. But if you can shoot them well, then by all means use them. if this seems to be out of whack let me know..
Old 11-30-2003, 11:01 AM

are you going to wait until you actually draw the tag and then in the six months between the draw and the season go about the business or rounding up the $$$, buying the rifle, scoping, practicing with it and THEN go after Mr. Brown Bear with NO KILLS under your belt?
Nope, definately not. It' s just that I won' t bother with the 375 until I' m ready to begin the process of attempting to aquire my liscence. By the time I actually get my liscence I' ll probably have already owned the rifle for a number of years. Any idea how long it could take a Canadian to get a kodiak tag?? Anyone know what the majority of guides are calling for as min. cartridge allowed??
Old 11-30-2003, 01:02 PM

Since non-residents and aliens alike must use a guide for bear hunting in Alaska it looks like if you have got the money, then they have a deal ready to go for you....

Looks like Kodiak Island proper might be trickier regarding draw:

http://www.worldwide-hunts.com/Bear%20Hunts.htm

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_...-faq.cfm#paper

HOWEVER, if Afognak island will work for you, then it looks like you could be ready to go as early as April 6, 2004! $650 for an alien license and $12,000 for 10 days of their trouble to put you and Mr. Brown Bear together and then picking up the pieces afterward (hopefully the bears!).

http://www.huntafognak.com/bearhunt.htm

http://www.huntafognak.com/rates.htm

So what do you think? 338WinMag or 375HH or 416 or ..... ?

BTW, here is a quote from the African Hunters, " Once you walked amongst them, no rifle is too large."
Life does change when the hunter can become the hunted and the quarry DOESN' T have to flee at the hunters advance!

EKM
Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 PM

I choose not to get into the magnums too much, simply from personal preference. I would like a 7mm Rem Mag, for antelope, but my favorite is my 45/70, as I have mentioned before. What won' t a 45/70 kill? It has taken all of the African dangerous game, everything on this continent, and done so very effectively. Though the range is limited, it has been killing animals for a very long time. Match that cartridge in the Marlin Guide Gun with Ballard cut rifling, and you got yourself one hell of a hunting rig. Big bullets, big holes, life is good.

However, if a hunter wants to use a magnum, that' s also fine with me, because I say whatever gets the job done. I mean, we shoot these things with arrows, and those before us did it with subpar weapons.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:19 PM

EKM, thanks big time for the links, much appreciated!!!!!!!
As for exactly which round, haven' t decided, I' m kinda leaning to the 375,tried, tested and true, so to speak. I' m only 5' 6" and 180lb. so recoil can be a factor. Anything beyond the 375 and the " twich" factor could play a role, don' t need that. Any suggestions?? I' d still be more than happy with the .06 but I don' t think the guides would like it much, no sense of ha,ha about that from what I hear. Can' t blame them though, their hides are on the line to.
Thanks again
Old 11-30-2003, 06:52 PM

It must have took some big time intestinal fortitude for those 10 and 14 year old boys to kill them Brown Bears [] I wander what caliber they used[>:]? At 12K a pop daddy must have a thick wallet.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:13 PM

Just reading between the lines, I' m betting those boys were there (and good for them) but it was likely that dad did the shooting. It doesn' t say they shot them. It just shows them with the taken bears.

In any case it does take a fat wallet!

EKM
Old 12-02-2003, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once knew a guy that hunts with a speer it' s all relative. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:42 PM

Kodiak with a speer...hmmm.....no, I don't think so. Thats just a touch TO hardcore, even for me, thanks, but I'll pass.

Quick Reply: NEED A MAGNUM FOR BIG GAME??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.