Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Moose and elk hunting in North America. >

Moose and elk hunting in North America.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose and elk hunting in North America.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting ....
Old 11-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck on your hunt CI. Deer or bear? Either way, be safe.

DD, it's not bad. I know what he's getting at and he's right. There is an issue. The tricky part is how to handle it without driving posting traffic to a standstill.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the “Blizzard Cow” CI mentioned. It certainly was a memorable afternoon!
Attached Thumbnails Moose and elk hunting in North America.-3ff2b36b-053f-4551-a861-4f172b202b7d.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2021, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Here is the “Blizzard Cow” CI mentioned. It certainly was a memorable afternoon!
Tough to walk in that snow. Harder still with a critter on your back.

-Jake
Old 11-16-2021, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Tough to walk in that snow. Harder still with a critter on your back.

-Jake
We were actually in trouble with really deep snow bogging us down. We were looking for a spot where we could turn around and get back to a lower elevation and right in front was a nice bull and 4 or 5 cows bedded down. Was a last day hunt and as good fortune was smiling upon us Rob was able to get one of the cows. When we stopped the truck sank and we were kind of stuck. There were 3 of us and we were able to finally get 4 tires back on the dirt and then we cut the elk in half and muscled her into the back of my truck. That extra weight helped us to get off the mountain. The next morning was spent doing some fast butchering to get that elk all cut up for the trip back east. I got a deer and so did our other partner earlier in the week and it was short sleeve weather. What a difference a couple days can make in the Rockies.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

That's the truth. Couple of minutes can make a difference. Storms can move in fast at high elevation.

I about got beat to death by hail on Mount Evans when I misread the weather. Watched that storm blow up over the mountain above us. We were already above tree line and exposed. I had two city girls with me who were doing their first fourteener. I thought we were in trouble, and they were scared. But it cleared out after a few minutes.

-Jake
Old 11-16-2021, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

And just so we stay on topic a helicopter would have been nice to get us out of there. But I don't think the pilot would have flown lol.

-Jake
Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew a guy who hunted in New Zealand once and he said they did just that. Must be nice to afford that helicopter.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the record, I think the "blizzard cow" story with pic. was a good answer to the OP's post.
It's quite a contrast to my hunting where I'm near the gulf coast on flat land at about 65 feet elevation. A few years ago we got a rare have inch of snow and I hadn't seen a deer track in the snow since I was a young kid growing up in Arkansas. I raced out to the woods that morning just to see it.

The western hunting stories do make me feel a little lazy. I have a good story when my southern whitetail buck is big enough I have to gut it before I can lift it up on the 4 wheeler.

C. Davis
Old 11-18-2021, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

There was actually a bit more to that blizzard story that I'll tell about one of these days. It involved a brazen bear that hung around and on Rob's cabin attracted by deer quarters. That was an epic trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.