Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Moose and elk hunting in North America. >

Moose and elk hunting in North America.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose and elk hunting in North America.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Moose and elk hunting in North America.

It's very hard. It's not for the poor man. It's not for people out of shape. It's not for the lazy. It might even be for the crazy!! It's not for everybody, his dog, his brother and his brother's dog. It's certainly no Saturday walk in the park as it is for a Plains State whitetail doe or buck. Who here has been on a guided moose or elk hunt? Who rode horseback or mule pursuing His Majesty? I've found this fascinating video series by Mr. Gun Blue 490 of New Hampshire. It's worth the while to watch to see how impossible this sport really can be.

PS - If money is no object, can one hunt moose or elk by helicopter? How about riding along in some powered vehicle so as not to die of a heart attack or an asthma attack? On African safari, taking a cruise across the savannah by Land Rover lead by a PH was the thing back in the day.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seriously doubt you know anything about hunting either of them.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
I seriously doubt you know anything about hunting either of them.
Only from books, magazines and film. I read a Jack O'Connor article in the 1970's on elk hunting in Outdoor Life. It's not about what I know. I just want to hear from others. Maybe there is an article on this page about moose or elk hunts by horseback and such I can read up on. I sense that some some folks are not very warm and receptive.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't sneak anything by you huh! Here is a hint for you, don't make statements about things you never did as thought you did them.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Again...

-Jake
Old 11-13-2021, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I need to seek out a new hunting forum.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you do, however, I recommend a faux hunting forum, it would be a better fit!
Old 11-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
I need to seek out a new hunting forum.
Not really. Just do some hunting. Get yourself out there and try to bust a rabbit or a squirrel if nothing else. Post a story about the hunt or even a picture.

What do you have for equipment? If you've got an air rifle suitable and legal for small game, you can use that. Even better, a shotgun or .22 can run you less than $200. Get a game vest if you haven't got one.

Edit: Also read up and watch some videos on how to dress out the game, skin it/pluck it, etc. This also presumes you did the hunter safety and have a license.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-13-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Not really. Just do some hunting. Get yourself out there and try to bust a rabbit or a squirrel if nothing else.

What do you have for equipment? If you've got an air rifle suitable and legal for small game, use that.
agreed. Many people initially encouraged you to go do something. But you haven't.

Go hunt. It's easy. You can probably start tomorrow morning.

When you're done with your hunt, come back and make a post about it. I guarantee you'll get some positive responses.

-Jake
Old 11-13-2021, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suggest to OP go read a thread like this one:
CO Bear Opener

That is what they guys/gals on this site want to read. Not a bunch of made up garbage. Take a hunter safety class, get a license and go hunting. Get some experience and ask for some help while you are getting it. You will be a lot more respected here because right now you come off like a joke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.