Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Point Creep

Old 11-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I gotta admit, I had hoped to have a few more members chime in on this topic since I know a lot of them hunt with preference points. I'd really like to hear what some of the guides have to say about it.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I know a few people who buy several points from different western states. They know they are spending a few thousand every year but hope down the road they materialize into a hunt or two each year. Some states actually say you lose your points if you fail to keep buying them. Somehow that seems wrong on so many fronts.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-09-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no expert by any means. But I give Wyoming my money every year.

I've hunted Wyoming antelope on preference points in 2019. Took us 3 or 4 years applying and we had a good, easy hunt on public land. Although that area was listed as a difficult to access area with limited public land, we were able to find good spots.

If this could be done every four years that would be fine... But it seems to me the demand is outgrowing the supply. Ten years ago that area took no points. This year it took 5. So.... Another 6 years from now? I doubt I could get it with 6 points then.

I also have deer points in Wyoming. Elk points in PA, moose points in Maine. I play the game. I'm only 31 so I figure I'll draw some of these tags eventually.

But the state of hunting saddens me. As a young kid I remember dad and grandpa's hunting stories of going out west. Easy tags. Easy access. They hunted antelope, elk, and muleys.

Those days are gone. And even the whitetail access is disappearing in the East. My area of Ohio is full of leases now. Expensive leases.

I have been researching and reading allot about black bear hunting, I try to go every year I during Pennsylvania's short season. I don't particularly care about antlers. Allot of states have over the counter bear tags, long seasons, and I could get in and hunt "cool" places without playing the lottery game.

Something to consider for guys who want a mountain hunt but don't want to wait ten years to apply and do it.

-Jake
Old 11-09-2021, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup your antelope hunt is typical of what happens with point creep. No points needed and after 10 years now takes 5. Most likely it didnt go up 1 point every 2 years. In all likelihood it did most of the rise in the last 2 or 3 years. You burned your points on a good hunt and may never catch up to the curve since you had to start over. The state still encourages you to apply but must know that you won't be able to hunt that same area again. The morality of the points system is flawed depending on the situation of the hunter. Reminds me of a Christmas present I got my wife about 30 years ago. I bought a set of custom made golf clubs for her about 3 weeks before Christmas. They needed to measure her up and then build the expensive clubs. I gave her the receipt in a card under the tree and a couple days later went down to the pro shop with her for the fitting. The place was dark and when we looked in it was empty. It took a while but I found out they closed up shop and declared bankruptcy. I paid close to a grand cash for the clubs and they took the money knowing I would never collect what I paid for. Points system rings a familiar bell at least to me.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My points have been concentrated in Colorado, Iowa, and Wyoming. The most frustrating out of the 3 has been Colorado deer. What use to take 2-3 points to draw a Unit 83 deer tag now takes 6-7 points in only 15 short years.

I don’t know what the answer is. All I know is that you must have points to be able to draw these tags. I have enjoyed the many CO elk and deer hunts I had with CI and we killed a lot of elk and deer! My Iowa deer hunt was incredible and hope to draw that tag again in 2022 with 4 points. My WY elk hunt was incredible this year. My solution is to become a WY resident in the next year or two so I can get resident tags.

Last edited by Rob in VT; 11-09-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:57 AM
car
Typical Buck

I was glad to use my 19 points for elk in Colorado last year. Like some of you said, you end up with a lot of money just for a tag. Of course, with the creep I would never draw some of the units. I don't mind the thought of applying for a few years to be able to hunt out west, beyond that it's crazy. Hope to use my 3 points for deer in Colorado in 2022. I do have points for deer and elk in Wy that I plan on using in the next 5 years! It's not really points but I've been applying for moose in Maine for probably 20 years. One of these years maybe I'll draw, maybe.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I burned 66 Oregon points the last 3 years, glad to exit there! But still have 347 left in about 10 states. Trying to burn some every year. Sad but strategy is mostly based on which state I think will screw us nonresident point holders next. I am set in Wyoming. My guess is Colorado & Nevada are the most at risk right now. The other states can't get much lower as far as NR quotas go. So planning to burn 25 CO elk points in 2022. Then 16 CO deer points in 2023. It's rough to get rid of them as I've found compromised when I draw even two hunts the same year, even if the hunt periods overlap nicely. I can't devote enough time to scout and hunt. So I just won't do it. Failed to draw any western tags this year, but more than made up for it with two slammer special whitetail hunts here at home, harvesting two great bucks.

I would not like to be a newbie getting in the game at this point. And see myself as a prime target for states to screw, watering down my investment. But I can't burn these fast enough. A bit concerning is my age (61), health and declining fitness level. Wheels are slowly falling off.

Last edited by Zim; 12-26-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Youth is wasted on the young. Hope you get some great hunts in before the wheels come totally off!

-Jake
Old 12-27-2021, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Zim, you bring up a lot of good points (no pun intended). As we get older, there does seem to be a diminishing chance for a ROI. Ans since you can't give or will them to a family member or friend, there is a point when you're not gaining much.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

One positive is I was fortunate to get in the game early enough to already hunt many of the primo units, which today are no more than a pipe dream. Pre-internet, pre-Huntin Fool, while I was in great physical shape-a gym rat. These days it’s all about damage control for these remaining points. I have more than enough for my lifetime. Just got to manage them wisely.