HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Point Creep
Thread: Point Creep
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

I'm no expert by any means. But I give Wyoming my money every year.

I've hunted Wyoming antelope on preference points in 2019. Took us 3 or 4 years applying and we had a good, easy hunt on public land. Although that area was listed as a difficult to access area with limited public land, we were able to find good spots.

If this could be done every four years that would be fine... But it seems to me the demand is outgrowing the supply. Ten years ago that area took no points. This year it took 5. So.... Another 6 years from now? I doubt I could get it with 6 points then.

I also have deer points in Wyoming. Elk points in PA, moose points in Maine. I play the game. I'm only 31 so I figure I'll draw some of these tags eventually.

But the state of hunting saddens me. As a young kid I remember dad and grandpa's hunting stories of going out west. Easy tags. Easy access. They hunted antelope, elk, and muleys.

Those days are gone. And even the whitetail access is disappearing in the East. My area of Ohio is full of leases now. Expensive leases.

I have been researching and reading allot about black bear hunting, I try to go every year I during Pennsylvania's short season. I don't particularly care about antlers. Allot of states have over the counter bear tags, long seasons, and I could get in and hunt "cool" places without playing the lottery game.

Something to consider for guys who want a mountain hunt but don't want to wait ten years to apply and do it.

-Jake