Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Basic Rifle Scope Question >

Basic Rifle Scope Question

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Basic Rifle Scope Question

Old 08-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default Basic Rifle Scope Question

I am currently an archery elk hunter, but would like to also try rifle hunting. I'm thinking about purchasing a new lightweight Vortex rifle scope that is 4.5-22x50. It is actually lighter then my current 3-15x44 scope.

I know that 22 power is overkill for hunting. But is the 4.5 power low enough for typical closer shots? Or will I regret not having 2 or 3 power at the low end? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2021, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Typically you see game first with your eyes or binoculars and then reacquire it with the scope. Finding it again is more problematic the higher the magnification, your field of view shrinks. Having said that I have no too little trouble finding it again with a 12 power. *IMO it is all about practice*. It wasn't easy when I started out many years ago . Sometimes I practice finding birds in a tree with 6 power, then up the game to 12 power. I hunted for years with a fixed 6X44. I've used 12 power for some really close shots when something popped out of the brush way closer than I expected, I see no issue with a 4.5 power.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Are you looking at rifle hunting for elk or other animals also? You'd lose about 10 feet in your field of view on the low (4.5x) setting as opposed to a more traditional 3x9x40 scope. Unless you're planning on long range hunting, for most big game, most people use lower power settings on their scopes anyway. It's hard to give more of an opinion since you don't list the state you're hunting in, kind of terrain, etc.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO< 4.5 is low enough, but a lot of things come into play with this, as first your actual experience with rifles ans scope, not everyone is FAST at getting a rifle settled in and using the scope to find a target!
something else to consider if being an ELK rifle
the larger the scope, objective is, the higher on the rifle it has to be mounted to fit, which can also lead to poor shooting form, can effect eye relief and how close or far away the scope has to be mounted to allow you to use!
also the HIGHER the magnification on the scope on AVERAGE< the poorer it is in low light,as an example, on average a 2x scope will allow seeing a lot longer in low light condition as in sun set, and have more light gathering abilities than say a 4.5x scope setting!
when you get up into 20+x powers, IMO, you start to get a LOT more mirage issue's too!
Most of my rifles so finding a target in one for me is almost a natural thing at this point! n ewer rifle hunters will NOT do as well, just due to lack of time behind a scope and experience that comes from time and doing so! however are set up with 4.5x14 in either 40 or 50 mm scopes,. I find them about perfect for most all condition I encounter, but I also have decades of experience using scopes!
Old 08-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Just my .02 but it will money much better spent on a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40. The warranty, customer service, durability/US made and clarity are excellent.

If Nikon were still available I'd recommend that hands down, it was incredible what they were producing at their price point.

Buy once cry once.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:15 PM
Spike

It's true I have zero experience hunting big game with rifles. My only experience using rifle scopes has been mounting them and sighting them in at 50 or 100 yards. I own a Leupold 1-6x24 and a Vortex 3-15x44. I live in Colorado and mountain hunting would initially be for elk or perhaps deer. I wouldn't mind other game such as big horn sheep or moose if I ever drew a tag. My interest in the Vortex 4.5-22x50 scope is partially for hunting, but also to have a shot at long range target shooting. I thought perhaps that scope could fill both niches. It weighs a little less then my current Vortex scope.

I agree that Leupold makes great scopes. I also like Vortex for the money and their warranty.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
You'd lose about 10 feet in your field of view on the low (4.5x) setting as opposed to a more traditional 3x9x40 scope.
I would agree this can definitely be a concern, IMO, too many are fixated on power and tend to ignore field of view issues. A narrow field of view makes it more challenging to quickly acquire the target in the scope and often close encounters involve moving game, making it even more of an issue. Do you really need 22x?
Old 08-16-2021, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

That definitely provides more context. Since you already hunt elk with a bow and presumably know where you're going to hunt them with a rifle (probably the same place), consider taking a scouting trip with your 3-14x44 Vortex scope. Set the scope at 4.5x or as near as you can get and glass over some of the terrain, etc. Get a feel for how the scope feels at 4.5x-ish and then dial it back to 3x to see if the difference matters to you or not.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:41 PM
Spike

I am currently looking for a scopes that would be mostly (by far) i'm Also use . Right now I am looking at the below scopes: most of scopes is reasonable prices. if you want scopes to look this web. scopemagnification.com
Old 08-17-2021, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO realistically you aren't going to be dialing your power after game is spotted unless the game is at a long distance or head down feeding. You typically set it to what you expect the shooting situation to be beforehand.
Then you have to figure in low light, most of my shots are a half-hour before sunrise or a half-hour after sunset (actually one hour here) or even moonlight for Hogs. There is a low light sweet spot for most people as far as magnification goes, it is an individual thing, it has to do with your pupil diameter.
Most people have a pupil diameter between five and seven, with 7 standard. I misspoke before my fixed scope is 6x42 (not 44). Which gives a scope exit pupil diameter of 7. I use my binoculars mostly and only use the scope or rifle the few seconds before the shot. Side note a pair of binoculars that matches your scope can be helpful especially in low light if one or the other is drastically better than the other it causes me issues.

My 4-12X52 scope gives *me personally* the best light and definition at around 8X-10X. You may also want to experiment a little to find the best eye relief, crowding the scope doesn't make it better. Some things you just have to get used to, technology is only going to take you so far, and then it is on you to adapt. You may seldom to never use the highest magnification, but having the option can be nice when you want to pop a Yote on the horizon near the end of your hunt. Last note, changing the magnification can slightly change where your bullet strikes, I usually zero at max magnification and am good enough to sho0t small groups, my zero does change slightly as I change the magnification, I've heard this can change from scope to scope and as my scopes are high end I imagine it can get worse with lesser scopes.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-17-2021 at 01:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.