Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
saving for my FIRST ever travel/guided hunt >

saving for my FIRST ever travel/guided hunt

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

saving for my FIRST ever travel/guided hunt

Old 02-18-2020, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

antelope can also be had on many of the Indian reservation hunts, and NO outfitter will be needed and get you access to tens of thousands of acres to hunt
along with other species of big game if wanted!

but the first step is asking yourself what actually is your budget, species you want to go after, and HOW much of the work you want to do yourself, over just PAYING someone to do as much as possible!

until you know your budget and game animal,/type of hunt too, fenced in, private ranch, public lands, or??
its very hard to recommend anyone or place here!

but a LOT of great hunts can be had for a LOT less than many expect if your willing to do some work to find deals and do some of the work involved to be successful and NOT just rely on others to do it for you!

Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt for the most expensive animal you think you will ever want. They won't get any cheaper and you may not get another chance. For instance I did a Stone Ram early in my hunting career and it only ran me around $5K. That's a $30K hunt now. I once passed on the chance to do a White Rhino in RSA with a broken front horn for $6K. That's a $100K hunt now. I also let a big sable go because I didn't want to pay the additional $1500 trophy fee when I was already in Africa. Price a sable hunt now.

Words of wisdom from someone who has been there and done that.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

My above response to the OP was based on his comments about being frugal and wanting an 80+% success rate. After reading flags comment above, I must admit his point of view makes a lot of sense. Hunts won't get any cheaper and you may not get the opportunity again. You may have more money to spend on hunts when you're older (or not) but the prices will be higher also. When you're young and don't have family obligations yet, you have more opportunity as well. For the OP, I would also consider carefully what flags is advising. Things may look one way when you're younger but a lot different when you're older.

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-28-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

or you can look at it this way when younger take on the HARDER more physically demanding hunts, as when your older, , like it or not, you cannot do the things you used to , if you have the $$ or not to do so
age does limit many things as we all don;'t age the same and many have injuries and health issue later on in life that limit things!

and don't forget, a first time outfitted hunt, might be something someone likes or doesn;t pending the outfitter and experience they have with em

NOT knowing what to ask and expect, , going on a FIRST hunt, at a HIGHER costing animal, can be a BIG let down, if things don;t go as well , based on in experience in picking the right outfitter

I know I wouldn;t go on the most expensive hunt I could afford for a first timer??
too many things, a new guy doesn't know they want till they PAY and DON"T get it!

far too many hunters end up on sites like this after there FIRST outfitter hunt, complaining, and do so for a reason
they failed to ask enough questions and or didn;t get what they expected or wanted due to lack of experience in what again to ask for/about and so on!!

live and learn as they say, and we all seem to learn from a FIRST time any thing, and that helps us do better on the second and third and so on!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

One option that I have used is to fly out of Dulles (Northern Virginia) to a city in Europe (Frankfort, etc.) and spend some time there before continuing my journey. That cuts the airtime to around nine hours for each leg of the trip and allows for some rest or sightseeing. My wife usually travels with me and she definitely prefers that over the direct route. I prefer the direct route, which is admittedly tiresome, and spending two or three days resting or sightseeing in Africa before going to the hunting camp. Wherever you decide to go, and whatever you decide to do, get some rest from your journey before the hunt and you will enjoy it much more.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:36 PM
Spike

I think you have to book a plains game for about the same price as booking a shooting trip.