Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

11th Hour Muley

Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default 11th Hour Muley

First time hunting Montana so it took us awhile to find an area with more deer. My brother missed a nice buck (Misjudged distance) on the last day of our hunt and then on the last hour, I caught up with a group of two bucks and some does. Laid in the sage brush, got a good rest with my elbow, and squeezed off the 7mm just over the back as he was uphill at about 250 to 300. At the shot, they disappeared over the back of the hill so I took off trotting up several hills to where they were standing. Looked over to see the last doe disappear over a distant hillside and thought I' d missed as I hadn' t seen him flinch at the shot. Took a few more steps and he was laying over the hillside. He' s a 3x4 and I was very pleased to have made a clean kill with one shot as he was dead when I arrived.

This was half hour before dark and some people from Montana that we' d met asked me if I wanted to go and find a buck. I said yes but that my rifle was up at the truck. So I used one of their rifles and didn' t even have a knife with!! So we went via boat and saw this group off the shore. I trotted up thru a series of hills to find them at the top. So I drug it down about quarter mile to the lake and they came back from looking for elk. They had the knives so we gutted it out, hauled it back to the truck, and had it quartered and bagged in no time. The people I met really made the trip worthwhile regardless of the outcome and I know my brother felt the same way. It was a learning experience. They had the camera too so I' m waiting on photos which they will be hopefully sending my way soon.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 11th Hour Muley

Good job ironranger. I am glad you had a good trip. Were you hunting near Fort Peck? If you were tell everyone else the hunt was bad.