Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose? >

Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Spike

Default Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose?

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the hybrid 300 grain OTM tactical ammo from Berger and it's effectiveness as a hunting round for large game (in 338 Win Mag specifically). Right out the gate, this is NOT advertised nor recommended by Berger as a hunting round due to the jacket being stiffer than the hunting version. Most will take that as the final answer and not question it. That said, the thicker jacket is exactly why others are saying this is such a good big game round....it doesn't "explode" like most Bergers are known to do, retains more weight, acts similar to a copper bullet, has great penetration, etc., etc.

I am of the mindset of "why risk it" and see sticking with a Swift A-frame (or similar) as the better option buuuut......I do have a couple boxes of these 300gr Hybrid OTM pills in 338 Win Mag, my rifle loves this round and I would prefer to not waste them on paper targets if I don't have to. Have any of you actually used these OTM Bergers on game? Real world results greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

338 win mag?

I'd stick to 210 or 225 gr bullets.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Spike

I don't disagree. Definitely heavy for caliber but they are supremely accurate. Velocity is relatively slow but they still pack a heck of a punch down range.
Velocity: 2400 FPS
Energy: 3837 Ft-Lbs
Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Spike

Found the feedback I was looking for on other more active forums. Direct from those that actually use the round for hunting purposes and posting for anyone else that may be curious....it's apparently very good on big game and while not a dedicated/marketed hunting round, it will expand 2-3 times original diameter and has great weight retention.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:55 AM
Spike

I don't disagree.