HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM
SilverbulletM70
Spike

Default Berger Hybrid 300gr OTM for Elk/Moose?

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the hybrid 300 grain OTM tactical ammo from Berger and it's effectiveness as a hunting round for large game (in 338 Win Mag specifically). Right out the gate, this is NOT advertised nor recommended by Berger as a hunting round due to the jacket being stiffer than the hunting version. Most will take that as the final answer and not question it. That said, the thicker jacket is exactly why others are saying this is such a good big game round....it doesn't "explode" like most Bergers are known to do, retains more weight, acts similar to a copper bullet, has great penetration, etc., etc.

I am of the mindset of "why risk it" and see sticking with a Swift A-frame (or similar) as the better option buuuut......I do have a couple boxes of these 300gr Hybrid OTM pills in 338 Win Mag, my rifle loves this round and I would prefer to not waste them on paper targets if I don't have to. Have any of you actually used these OTM Bergers on game? Real world results greatly appreciated.