Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
First Time Deer Hunting - Please Help! >

First Time Deer Hunting - Please Help!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Time Deer Hunting - Please Help!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default First Time Deer Hunting - Please Help!

Hi guys,

I am a beginner deer hunter and this year will be my first time deer hunting. I drew a tag in CO for a GMU and I have been in this location before scouting for Turkeys. I scouted this location in March and found some deer trails and lots and lots of poop! But they seemed a bit old looking at their freshness. Now my question is, what should I focus on for deer hunting in this particular location? I'll be targeting mule deer in this location. I really don't know much about where to begin after I've found all these signs. I do plan on scouting this area before deer season opens. Will most likely be hunting during the evening also. Please let me know if you guys need more details. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Spike

Default Don't get overwhelmed

Mr. Gobbler you can start by planning how you are going to hunt. Treestand, spot and stalk, still hunting are all great options.
You have lots of time to plan, but look over the area you are going to hunt and start planning how you want to hunt it.
Use tools like google earth and study the lay of the land. Get familiar with the unit and the access points. Learn where you can and can't hunt.
This would be a good start.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot depends on what kind of country you will be hunting and what season. Sagebrush, oakbrush, aspens??? And the specific season will determine where the deer will be as well.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just where in the OP was there any mention of coyotes, let alone trapping them? The OP is about first time deer hunting.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Smells like spam.