Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt 2015 >

Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt 2015

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt 2015

Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt 2015

So I am going on my first hunt to Colorado the 3rd gun season. I drew a deer tag and will have an otc elk tag. I'm hunting on private ground in unit #131. Anyone have any experience in that unit or near that unit? I'm not sure what to expect number wise for elk or deer. If I have an opportunity on any legal bull I'm firing off the shot. I have taken a nice Mule deer buck in Wy and not sure what to expect on antler size in this unit. I like eating mule deer but if the potential of a really good buck is there then I will be more selective.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

I looked on the map and was shocked to see where 131 is. I thought it would be in the SE sector of the state like its similar numbered areas. Actually it is just south of where I hunt in 4, 441. The only thing I know about 131 is from passing thru it on the way. I am sure it is like most units in that it will have some good numbers and good quality animals in parts of the unit. It just depends on the actual land you are hunting and the time of year. Where I hunt 3rd season is pretty slow on elk as they are still in the high country but in 4th season it can be excellent for rag horn bulls-great eating and it saves on the taxideremy bills as well as arguments as to where I can place the head. On the deer 3rd season is pretty good where I hunt for average size bucks with lots of small bucks and does around. The 4th season which takes 17 points to draw has some real nice bucks showing up. With my experience just north of your area I would shoot the first legal bull I see and don't look back. On the bucks I wouldn't expect anything more than a decent buck but no true wall hangers prior to the rut kicking in in late November, but strange things do happen. Last year I saw a picture of a truly outstanding buck shot in the 1st season in the low country. They are wherever you find them. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank You Sir!!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

By 3rd season the game will looking for areas to get away from the pressure. That could be the private land you'll be hunting. Will other hunters be there too?

Once you pressure them they'll realize it's not a safe area, and be gone. You need to be stealthy. How big is the land?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Spike

A good rule of thumb is the later the season it is, the further from pressure the elk will be. Look to the more rugged areas and you will have a better chance of finding elk because other people aren't as willing to go there. Private land should sure help too.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The property is 3500 acres and a group of 5 of us are going. It will be hunted in prior seasons but limited. I am under the impression that there are some rugged places on the property!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL_ray_phillips
The property is 3500 acres and a group of 5 of us are going. It will be hunted in prior seasons but limited. I am under the impression that there are some rugged places on the property!
3500 acres divided between 5 hunters isn't really that big of a place especially if it has been hunted earlier in the season. If it has "rugged" places, that is where I'd be heading. But, it won't take much pressure to run elk off 3500 acres. I've seen them travel more than 10 miles to get away from hunters and they can cover that 10 miles really, really fast. A herd can clear out of 3500 acres in less than 30 minutes and they will when you start shooting at them.