HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt 2015
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
kansaswiderack
Typical Buck

I looked on the map and was shocked to see where 131 is. I thought it would be in the SE sector of the state like its similar numbered areas. Actually it is just south of where I hunt in 4, 441. The only thing I know about 131 is from passing thru it on the way. I am sure it is like most units in that it will have some good numbers and good quality animals in parts of the unit. It just depends on the actual land you are hunting and the time of year. Where I hunt 3rd season is pretty slow on elk as they are still in the high country but in 4th season it can be excellent for rag horn bulls-great eating and it saves on the taxideremy bills as well as arguments as to where I can place the head. On the deer 3rd season is pretty good where I hunt for average size bucks with lots of small bucks and does around. The 4th season which takes 17 points to draw has some real nice bucks showing up. With my experience just north of your area I would shoot the first legal bull I see and don't look back. On the bucks I wouldn't expect anything more than a decent buck but no true wall hangers prior to the rut kicking in in late November, but strange things do happen. Last year I saw a picture of a truly outstanding buck shot in the 1st season in the low country. They are wherever you find them. Good luck and good shooting.