Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Remington X Mark Pro trigger >

Remington X Mark Pro trigger

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Remington X Mark Pro trigger

Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default Remington X Mark Pro trigger

First post so be easy if this has already been covered. I am looking to buy a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. I think it is one of the prettiest rifles on the market, along with accurate, and American made. I take safety when hunting as serious as you do, and I am wondering what Remington did to "fix" the problem with the x mark pro trigger. I would rather not have to replace with a Timney or Jewell if I thought the problem was corrected with the new gun. $125 for piece of mind is pretty cheap, but that also buys a few boxes of ammo. Just looking for opinions.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you really want a Remington just because it looks nice and is made in the USA, then IMHO spend the extra money and put the aftermarket trigger in it and be done with it. Many people that appear to be in the know say the triggers are junk and should be replaced. To the best of my knowledge Remington is cleaning the ones that they think were not put together properly because of what they say is "excess bonding agent", but the basic design has not been changed. The recall involves all of those triggers made up until April of 2014. Most guys that know guns well say that by the time you buy a Remington and get done with it to make it a heck of a good gun about all you have left is the action that it came with! There are many Remington lovers out there and I would imagine you'll hear from one or more of them on this thread.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot Remintons Model 700s for years. My late father and my brother also shot or in the case of my brother still do shoot them. I've carried the same 7mm Mag since I was 13 and I'm 52 now. That rifle has been all over the world and has taken a huge amount of game. Nobody I personally know that shoots Remington has ever had an issue with the triggers.

Now, I'm not saying there haven't been some issues with some of the triggers but when you factor in the millions of Remingtons in the field, you really don't hear about that many issues. But the lawyers got involved so it was cheaper and easier for Remington to offer to fix what in my opinion has never been a problem.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've personally never had a "problem" with a Rem trigger other than they just suck. Functionally never had an issue but I've never left one in long enough to have an issue I guess. I've had a long standing with Timney triggers and Geissele. Dropped in a few Jewell's too.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry flags, but this is not the Walker trigger we're talking about here! When a company issues almost a complete recall on a firearm because of a trigger issue like they have on the one the OP is asking about it isn't about lawyers! I also have to disagree with your: "you don't hear many issues on Remingtons". Any hunting website you go on where the older Remington Walker triggers are being discussed has numerous people that have had them go off and many swear they have never done anything to them as far as adjustments. Poor cleaning exacerbates the situation, but the engineer who designed them stated they needed changing almost right from the get go and wanted a trigger block installed to prevent problems and for a lousy 5 1/2 cents per gun to make the change the company wouldn't do it. The complaints Remington had regarding the old Walker trigger is probably over 20,000 that they actually know about through consumer complaints and then you can add in thousands of others that happen to read about the problem and say they had a similar malfunction and were just being made aware of it when they read other people talking about it on the internet. This X Mark Pro recall involves all Remington firearms with the X Mark Pro trigger in them that were built from the start of production in about 2006 or 2007 though April of last year and it's not because of lawsuits where people were injured or died. It's due to poor quality control they have finally admitted to that is causing the rifles to fire similar to the older Walker trigger, but for an entirely different reason that I mentioned earlier. One malfunction IMHO is one too many in a firearm and thousands upon thousands of the same problem that have been happening for many years is absolutely ridiculous when a company doesn't own up to it over many decades. Then when they "sort of" admit to a problem and change them the new one is also defective and it takes them another 7 or 8 years to admit that and issue a recall. That totally sucks no matter what kind of a spin you want to put on it!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the X Mark Pro triggers left the factory with some excess gunk that needed cleaning but they are otherwise good and safe triggers. There is nothing wrong with the design of the new trigger.

A (very) few people will tell you that there is a potential "one in a million" problem with the older "Walker" style Remington trigger. That is an issue that is unproven and the source of many internet rumors and arguments. Most, if not all, of the problems seem to be caused by untrained guys tinkering with the triggers or just plain old bad gun handling. Remington is starting to provide recall relief for those that want their older style triggers changed.

A few product bashers can always be counted upon to chime in whenever any given product is mentioned (Ford vs. Chevy, etc.). I have quite a few Remington rifles along with other brands, and believe that you have made a good choice.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Some of the X Mark Pro triggers left the factory with some excess gunk that needed cleaning but they are otherwise good and safe triggers. There is nothing wrong with the design of the new trigger.

***Nothing was said about the design. I stated the problem "exactly" as Remington has worded it in their recall!

A (very) few people will tell you that there is a potential "one in a million" problem with the older "Walker" style Remington trigger. That is an issue that is unproven and the source of many internet rumors and arguments. Most, if not all, of the problems seem to be caused by untrained guys tinkering with the triggers or just plain old bad gun handling. Remington is starting to provide recall relief for those that want their older style triggers changed.

***How can you say "a few" when Remington records that were cited in court show the Walker malfunction problem is in the many thousands just sent to the company alone? Then there are many more thousands of people who knew nothing of the malfunction until reading it years later on a website!

A few product bashers can always be counted upon to chime in whenever any given product is mentioned (Ford vs. Chevy, etc.). I have quite a few Remington rifles along with other brands, and believe that you have made a good choice.
***I'll "bash" a product any day of the week no matter what it is or what the name of the manufacturer is when things being discussed have been documented in court cases. We're talking about possible problems that can lead to injuries and deaths because the maker is only looking at the bottom line and doesn't give a rat's butt about the people that are buying the product. For anyone to say that just because they, their friends, or whomever they happen to know have never had a problem, as happens all the time when this Remington situation is being discussed, and intimate that it's not out there is really a shame. It can also cause those people reading it to believe it and maybe be the next in line for an injury or death. Everyone should at least have an expert in that particular product fully inspect it before it is loaded again just like Remington says in their recall notice! IMHO a person should also do that if they have an older one with the Walker trigger in it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and that's why I'm also so adamant on this issue and you can call it bashing or whatever else you'd like to.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: ***My Comments
Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yet another internet firestorm!

Please link a valid court case that shows actual proof of the defective trigger (not just a few memos). Lower court and appellate if applicable. Every time I have read one of these cases there have been a lot of unproven claims.

I have witnessed more than one accidental firings involving both Ruger and Remington rifles. In those events someone clearly had their finger on the trigger as they released the safety. In two of those instances the shooter swears that they did not touch the trigger but others present (including me) saw them do it.

Anything is possible, and anything can fail. Any manufacturer that makes millions of products has probably made some with a defect of some type. Gun safety could not be more important but I have seen nothing to make me believe that all of the talk about the Walker trigger is anything of substance.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Yet another internet firestorm!

Please link a valid court case that shows actual proof of the defective trigger (not just a few memos). Lower court and appellate if applicable. Every time I have read one of these cases there have been a lot of unproven claims.

I have witnessed more than one accidental firings involving both Ruger and Remington rifles. In those events someone clearly had their finger on the trigger as they released the safety. In two of those instances the shooter swears that they did not touch the trigger but others present (including me) saw them do it.

Anything is possible, and anything can fail. Any manufacturer that makes millions of products has probably made some with a defect of some type. Gun safety could not be more important but I have seen nothing to make me believe that all of the talk about the Walker trigger is anything of substance.
Do it yourself, as I'm done debating this kind of garbage and you can do a search just as easy as I have over the years. When Remington has had dozens of court cases like they have regarding the Walker triggers and settled over 20 of them for millions of dollars when their lawyers knew they were going to lose the case is all I need to know! You have your opinion based on what you stated and I have mine based on thousands of complaints of the same type that no other firearm in history has had at those levels. No other firearm in the USA, including other manufacturers like Ruger and Winchester that have produced millions of firearms, has a poor history like the Remingtons we're talking about. Even though they have produced millions of them doesn't excuse all the ones that have had defects and that seems to be the common comment made to justify the problem.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.