Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Africa or Alaska?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay, lets not turn this into a political battle of how much the Gov. spends on foreign aid.

I for one quit "trophy" hunting a long time ago. The only time I really pay attention to a rack is if I am trying to genetically manage one of my hunting properties for a higher quality gene pool. That goes more for health of the herd with stronger genes. That being said, I am, with no doubts whatsoever, a MEAT hunter. I've got more heads on the walls around here than I care to imagine. Wish I had about half the money I've spent on taxidermy. I sure wouldn't have to worry about bills for a while! So My choice would undoubtedly be Alaska for the simple reason of meat. That and I'm not really keen on Ebola. I have a strange feeling that little bug would sure ruin your day!

I've hunted Alaska several times and there are MANY drop in hunts that are very reasonably priced for Moose, Caribou, Plains Bison, and several other species. You just have to look for a good deal. They are out there to be had.
A bit of a contradiction. You say you're a meat hunter, and you have trophy's on your wall. That's not my definition of a meat hunter.

I consider myself a meat hunter who loves the hunt more than the kill. There's nothing hanging on my walls, and i've never even taken antlers from the kill unless I had to prove points, and then it's left in the mountains. I believe that's what meat hunters do.

I think every hunter is free to hunt anyway they want, and I don't push my ways on anybody. However, what ever you claim to do. You should do it.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I for one quit "trophy" hunting a long time ago"

Did you not see that in the very start there Muley? I'm no spring chicken bud. I've been hunting well over 40 years now. In my youth I hunted trophies and was fairly successful at it. Those "trophies" on the wall are more of a memory than anything. Each and every one signifies either a hunt with my Great Grandfather, my Father, One of my Son's or Daughters or someone else important in my life.

Maybe before you accuse someone of contradicting themselves, you should first learn how to read and understand what was said.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read it fine. You either have the trophy mentality, or you don't. Enjoy your trophy memories.

Not important. Just giving my opinion. That's what we do on forums.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Like beauty, trophies are in the eyes of the beholder. I killed my first deer when I was in college, and I proudly hung those spike antlers on my bedroom wall of our apartment. We also ate every bit of meat from that deer.

On the Alaska caribou hunt that I posted about earlier, I boned out all of the meat from that caribou and packed and froze it in waxed cardboard salmon boxes and brought it home. My family and I enjoyed eating that meat for several months and now that the meat is long gone, I still enjoy seeing that mounted bull on my wall. The logistics and costs of going to Alaska from the lower 48 do not economically justify that as a "meat hunt."

Although I couldn't eat all of the meat from the animals that I have shot in Africa, most of it was processed and utilized in the camps and by their staff. I also enjoyed the meals prepared from the animals that I shot there, and now every day that I'm home I enjoy seeing those mounts on my walls and remembering those hunts.

Alaska and Africa are both are great hunting destinations and I have wonderful memories from hunting both.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

1 - Oregun
2 - Wyoming
3 - Canada
4 - Alaska
5 - Africa

Those are my top 5 in order.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Spike

I would surely go for Alaska, it is a prevalent hunting destination. Seekers originate from everywhere throughout the world to hunt big game creatures, for example, the brown bear, black bear, moose. Mountain goat hunt are additionally rapidly turning into a rising enthusiasm to seekers. The reason in respect to why Alaska is such a prominent hunting destination is on the grounds that it possesses a percentage of the world's biggest big game creatures.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm planning a hunt somewhere's for next year. A kind of birthday present to myself (the big 5-0). Africa keeps coming up, and then I saw this thread.

I have thoughts about taking my '06 to Namibia for Blesbok, Hartebeest, Impala, Springbok, Kudu or Oryx.

So for me, it's Africa.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
I'm planning a hunt somewhere's for next year. A kind of birthday present to myself (the big 5-0). Africa keeps coming up, and then I saw this thread.

I have thoughts about taking my '06 to Namibia for Blesbok, Hartebeest, Impala, Springbok, Kudu or Oryx.

So for me, it's Africa.
Namibia is a great place to start and your '06 will do the job very nicely if you load a premium bullet. Do yourself a big favor and book for a ten day hunt if possible and not the popular seven day hunt. You will be tired upon arrival with the long flights and the time change. Most fellows are traveling through Johannesburg now if they are traveling with rifles The route of Frankfurt and then to Windhoek means using Air Namibia for the last leg. Air Namibia is not bad - if they are flying that day. They had only one large airplane for the flights to Europe (they might be up to two by now) and sometimes canceled flights for maintenance, etc.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA

So for me, it's Africa.
That would be a great birthday present to yourself.

Like Big Uncle suggested, make it a 10 day hunt.

I would also change "Kudu or Oryx" to "Kudu and Oryx."

Also be open to adding another animal or two while you're there. Like if your PH says "That is a very nice _____, you should shoot it." You may not get that opportunity again.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
That would be a great birthday present to yourself.

Like Big Uncle suggested, make it a 10 day hunt.

I would also change "Kudu or Oryx" to "Kudu and Oryx."

Also be open to adding another animal or two while you're there. Like if your PH says "That is a very nice _____, you should shoot it." You may not get that opportunity again.
If you go to Namibia, check into getting a Mountain Zebra and a Damara Dik-Dik. You can't get them anywhere else. Kudu, orxy, hartebeest, warthog, wildebeest etc... are pretty widespread. Go for the oddities. That's exactly how I got my Vaal Rhebok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.