Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Africa or Alaska?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

This post was going along just fine until the some people like to live in ther small little world comment came up. It wasn't directed at me, however I found it insulting. I would love to hunt Africa, unless I hit the lottery, I never will because I I would not go all that way and kill animals just to kill them and the taxidermy fee is very cost prohibitive, not to mention, my rooms are not large enough nor my ceilings are not high enough to display the heads even if I could afford the taxidermy bill. I have several friends who hunted Africa several times and are going back, I enjoy their stories and trophies and will be content to hunt vicariously through their stories. There are animals in North America I have no desire to hunt, does that make me live in a small world? Actually, I have lived in a large portion of the world, but I will not do something I am not interested in doing or costs more than I am willing to spend just to impress someone else or to have bragging rights. Not directed at Flags, but to the maker of the poorly thought out comment.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I in NO way "Trashed" hunting in Africa Flags. The OP asked for opinions on preferences. Since I have hunted in Alaska for many years and it's a new experience every single year, even when I go to my favorite hunting spot that I know better than my own back yard, I simply stated that it's MY preference. While no I have never HUNTED in Africa, I know MANY people that have. Been in the hunting community for lots of years and know a LOT of people so granted my experience isn't first hand, I do have a pretty fair idea from the many stories of hunts from friends. From The Big 5 down to lowly little Impala hunts. Some of them loved it, some of them thought it the biggest waste of money they ever spent. It's not my cup of tea as I stated.

Now, lets just see how correct your statements are since you consider yourself such an "expert" (most of us think your just a blow hard) Flags. Don't know the price but you said they will ONLY book for 21 days minimum Well, as usual, WRONG http://www.northernoperationsafrica.com/hunt-bongo.html
13 day hunt there
http://www.hunting-faro-lobeke.com/h...ari-in-africa/
Aww shucks, 13 days there too
Matter of fact, every singe PH site I checked has them at 7 to 16 days.

May want to check on this yourself there Flags, but they ALL offered other hunts ALONGSIDE your Bongo hunt! May want to take a look in the mirror yourself there Flags. I personally think you just have a well used Google button.
Maybe I should have said for a good shot at a successful bongo hunt expect to book for 21 days. I'll admit I worded that poorly. Happy now? However, shorter hunts tend to be unworthwhile so serious hunters don't book them. Kind of like trying to get a big bull moose or a grizzly in AK on a 2 day hunt. Does it happen? Sure but are you going to bet the farm on it? I doubt it. 3 weeks is the average for a shot at success for bongo in nearly every area they are hunted. Does that mean it takes all 21 days? Nope. But hunting them requires tracking and that requires rain for fresh tracks. Even in the rain forest it doesn't rain every day. Booking for less than 21 days limits your chances. Besides you do understand it will take at least 3 days to get into bongo country and 3 days to get out of bongo country don't you? It's not like you can just pop over there and hunt. So if we use your "13 day" hunt and add on travel time you're pretty close to having 21 days invested in the hunt aren't you? OOPS!

And there are of course other game animals where they hunt bongo. But the successful camps generally don't hunt anything until the bongo is taken. Time is short on safari and any time spent not concentrating on bongo makes the odds of success even smaller. By the way, they do the same thing for Lord Derby Eland and Mountain Nyala. Other game is there but it isn't hunted until the primary animal is taken. Kind of like doing both a Dall Sheep and a fishing trip. You'll go for the sheep rather than chase trout. Another analogy would be hunting elk and maybe wanting to shoot a few coyotes. Few hunters will waste precious elk hunting time chasing song dogs but they will happily hunt them after the elk is on a game pole. Same thing applies in Africa for the harder to hunt species like bongo, lesser species wait until the primary species is taken, if it is taken at all.

Besides Genius, I never said YOU were trashing Africa. What I said was some members had made comments about it that were incorrect and I was providing info. So, do you have some sort of ax to grind? Or are you being obtuse simply to be obtuse. You like AK. Good for you. I like Africa. The difference is, I've done both and you haven't and most likely never will. We are just going to have to agree to disagree. Deal with it.

Oh, and I don't think you really can talk for everyone.

Last edited by flags; 05-28-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

Have you hunted for bongo?
Nope. I've hunted Cameroon and nearly booked for bongo but decided to go for other game instead. But like I said, I know a guy (same guy I hunted Cameroon with) that runs a good bongo camp. I researched bongo heavily and my info is valid despite what another blowhard says.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

A friend of mine has a gorgous full body mounted Bongo he took. He is a ammo and firearms wholesaler and has been toAfrica several times. I have read a lot of books about hunting in Africa since high school and I new how difficult it was to take a Bongo because of the horrible jungle habitat they live in. He was showing me his trophy room, actually trophy building and I ask him if that was a Bongo he was amazed that I knew what it was. Beautiful creature for sure.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=Muley Hunter;4199413]Well, maybe you didn't mean it as an insult, but two of us took it that way, but i'll overlook it.

No, there was never any insult intended, but thanks for overlooking it anyway.

The truth is when I went on my first elk hunt at 12 I know what I was going to do the rest of my life. I loved it, and have never gotten tired of it.

You were lucky to have been able to hunt elk when you were 12. My Dad didn't hunt, and I didn't hunt elk until I was 20 and hunted with one of my college roommates. I also loved it, and have never gotten tired of it. I just learned that hunting didn't end with elk.

I also love the Colorado Rockies, and have never gotten tired of them either.

I too grew up and loved the Colorado Rockies. They just got too crowded, and in 1975, as a part year ski instructor and part year Forest Service engineering technician, I was having trouble supporting a family of four -- especially in a resort town like Steamboat Springs, so I took a full time technician job in Montana. I no longer live in Colorado, but I'm still in the Rockies.

It would have been a struggle for me to hunt all over the world like you anyway. I'm a retired truck driver. I made an average living, but not enough to travel the world. I chose a way to hunt that I could do every year.

As a retired Forest Service engineering technician, I too made an average living. When my Grandparents passed, I received a small inheritance which basically covered the cost of a real nasty divorce, but left me enough to go on my first plains game hunt in South Africa where I shot 9 animals for less than it would cost for a guided moose hunt in Alaska. Since I no longer have to support a gold-digger wife and her two brats, by watching what else I spend, and by looking for hunt "deals", I have been able to afford some other hunts in Africa and other places.

The topic is would I like to hut Africa, or Alaska? It's a simple decision for me. Nothing in Africa appeals to me. Alaska does. It's as simple as that.

BOTH Africa and Alaska appeal to me. My DIY caribou hunt in Alaska cost me just over $1,ooo. A guided brown bear or moose hunt in Alaska would now cost well over 10 times that amount, as would a number of African multi-animal hunts.

You need to realize we're all different. What you like I might hate. It's what makes us all different. If a hunter from the south loves his whitetail hunting, and has no interest in hunting the west for elk. I don't give it a second thought. That's his choice. Why you don't understand why I have no interest in hunting some of the places you've hunted is beyond me.

I fully realize that we are all different, and I'm fine with that. I also could care less if you are interested in hunting some of the places that I've hunted. We all have our own little worlds. Both Alaska and Africa are outside of most of our worlds. Flags, myself, and a few others have expanded our worlds to include those places, and we've simply posted our positive experiences in them. What I don't understand is why you keep making negative posts about a place than you've never been to, that you have no interest in, and that you apparently don't want to learn anything about.

How about this. If you said you'd pay for the whole hunt in Africa, and it would be the best spots to hunt there with the best guides. I'd say.........Thanks, but i'm not interested.

Sorry Muley, but I couldn't afford a hunt for myself in Africa in the best spots and with the best guides. Your on your own there.

/Quote]
Old 05-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nicely done
Old 05-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't want to read the thread again, but I don't think I said anything negative about someone else hunting Africa. It's certainly my right to say I know i'd never like it without being there.

When someone rags on me for not knowing about a place I have no interest in going to........well, I respond.

Granted some of my opinion is based on the hundreds of hunts in Africa i've watched on TV and online. I don't think i've ever said to myself that i'd like to be there to try that.

Maybe my world is small as far as hunting goes. I was born and brought up in New England. Me and my dad hunted all over it for a lot of years. Then we moved to Calif, and I hunted it. However, from the age of 12 we always came to Colorado to hunt for elk and muley's. Every year for a month we came here to hunt.

We did that until my dad passed away when I was 40. From then on I came here alone to hunt. I finally got tired of the drive, and moved here. Now at 72 my hunting career is winding down. I have no regrets. I loved hunting Colorado, and now I love living here. Actually, I do have one regret, but it was out of my hands as a youngster. I wish my parents had moved here instead of Calif. Well, at least i've lived here a good part of my life.

Anyway, peace bro. We're all hunters no matter where we do it.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Anyway, peace bro. We're all hunters no matter where we do it.
Well stated, Pete.