Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Africa or Alaska?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Africa or Alaska?

I given the choice to hunt one or the other which one would you choose and why?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose Alaska. Mainly because I have always wanted to go there and it is in North America so it would be a little easier to get there and get trophies back.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted both and I'd take Africa any day.

First off, in many areas you can hunt Africa cheaper than a fully guided trip to AK. Some of the package hunts in South Africa or Namibia can be done for less than $5K for 5 or 6 species with extras species added on for the cost of trophy fees. Compare that to a guided moose and caribou hunt in AK. Even if you want to hunt on your own, AK is expensive and you can do unguided hunts in both Zimbabwe and Cameroon if you don't want to use a PH.

Second, there are a lot more species to hunt. AK game is actually pretty limited when you get down to it. There are less than a dozen huntable species and you can legally hunt over 200 different species in Africa.

Third, the safari industry is well established and the representatives in the states take care of everything including airfare, visas, firearms permits, trophy shipping, customs clearance etc... It is a very simple process and is handled without extra fees or hassles.

Fourth the people in Africa are great and it is good to be exposed to different cultures.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Spike

I've been to the Eastern Cape of South Africa three times over the past 12 years, and shot 31 animals of 20+ species with the same outfitter. I've had a great time, but I still haven't done everything there is to do in that one specific area of one country. The variety and amount of game you'll see in Africa is truly amazing. As Flags said, there are many countries and many different types of hunts - desert, savannah, brushveld, rain forest, mountains, swamps - and more species than you could shoot in a lifetime.

That said, Alaska is somewhere I definitely intend to hunt in the future. Any non-lodge based Alaska hunt is more of a challenge or adventure than most of what you'll do in Africa. Dollar for dollar I'll pay a lot more for an animal in Alaska, but a moose or Dall sheep on my wall will mean a lot more than another springbuck or impala.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I would choose Alaska. Mainly because I have always wanted to go there and it is in North America so it would be a little easier to get there and get trophies back.
I'd choose Alaska for these same reasons. If I'm going to drop big money on a hunt, I'd want to be able to bring something back like meat, hide, and horns. The USDA restricts a lot of this due to disease concerns.

Speaking of Alaska, I have a caribou hunt booked for this August and am looking for one or two guys to come along with me.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by emmo
I'd choose Alaska for these same reasons. If I'm going to drop big money on a hunt, I'd want to be able to bring something back like meat, hide, and horns. The USDA restricts a lot of this due to disease concerns.
Meat is the only thing you can't bring back from Africa. It is all utilized but you can't bring it back with you. But you can bring back all the trophies. If you legally shoot it in Africa, with a very few exceptions like cheetah, you can bring it back to the states. Trophies may require some paperwork but the safari outfit will take care of all that. You can even bring in ivory if you want from elephants taken on safari.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Africa hunting varies quite a bit depending on the country you choose. If you want a nice vacation and daily trophies without too much work then South Africa might be for you. SA hunts are almost all high-fence operations but some of the properties are huge. Probably most guys pick a SA plains game hunt as their first.

Namibia is mostly huge tracts of private property low-fence hunting. Same for Botswana now. I usually recommend Namibia for a first time traveler to Africa.

It is a long and expensive airplane ride to Africa. You will normally be able to have all of your trophies shipped home, but forget about meat. It is a worthwhile experience.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Banned

I would go to alaska over afreeka for one reason only. I choose to spend my money in U.S. and will not vacation to help another countries economy.probably missing out on a lot because of this stance as I'm sure afreeka has a lot to offer. they just ain't got nuthin I need.

good luck ,whichever you choose.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

I've never been to either and have never hunted "big game" like what they have around either of those places, but for the sheer scenery I would choose Alaska! And because I wouldn't have to fight the whole passport, different country ordeal. may be easier done than I would think but it would just seem like more fun IMO to hunt the beauty in the state of Alaska!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Both someday I hope. With the cost of the big 5 in Africa, I probably wouldn't hunt those species.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.