Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Hunting grizzlies next year? >

Hunting grizzlies next year?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting grizzlies next year?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can keep the wolves but I wouldn't mind having some sage grouse instead. Can I make a substitution or is it a package deal?

I some speed goat hunting out by Farson and my niece is planning on going to college in Laramie after she wraps up high school in June. I retire from the Navy in Apr and would love to retire in WY but my wife grew up in NH and she says she has had enough cold and snow in her life. And if she ain't happy, I ain't gonna be allowed to be happy either!

Last edited by flags; 12-03-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
They do come into the state every once in awhile. I do a lot of elk hunting for cows in unit 2 and it goes to the WY line. I've seen grizzly tracks there on 2 occasions. Never seen the bear itself but there is really no mistaking a grizzly track from a black bear track. When I was hunting bear in BC, we saw lots of grizzly tracks so I knew exactly what they were when I saw them in CO.

I talked to one of the game wardens up there once and he said he had seen a grizzly over by Powder Wash and that is 11 miles into CO. It's worth noting that state lines are not a solid barrier. Nothing stops an animal from walking into another state. Concepts like state lines exist only for humans, nothing else cares about them.
I know, but I meant if we had enough all over the state to hunt them.

I saw enough of them when I was in Alaska.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Saw my first one, a big boar, near the east entrance to Yellowstone in September this year. They are an awesome critter!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

did see the proposed NR WY griz tag fee of around $7500!

once in a lifetime tags should be the same price for res and non-res.

ID, WY, and MT could at least issue 2 boar tags each, 1 res, 1 non-res, while in the meantime they figure out exact quotas etc... but ya at 7500 for a non-res I think I'd just spend another 5k and go on a guided hunt in AK.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
You can keep the wolves but I wouldn't mind having some sage grouse instead. Can I make a substitution or is it a package deal?

I some speed goat hunting out by Farson and my niece is planning on going to college in Laramie after she wraps up high school in June. I retire from the Navy in Apr and would love to retire in WY but my wife grew up in NH and she says she has had enough cold and snow in her life. And if she ain't happy, I ain't gonna be allowed to be happy either!
Yes, we can work something out with the sage grouse.

As far as wives go I got the ideal gal for WY. She's an Alaskan and laughs at me when I gripe about the cold. She laughed about it just today.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I would never hunt a grizzly.. not enough of them.

But if I did, I'd bring a big BIG gun... I wouldn't even think of going after one of these things with anything less than a .308.. I'd take a .50 BMG if I owned one.

I took these photos myself during a camping trip with my wife.. Slept with a double barrel 12ga, and my AR10 next to both of us...

These things scare the hell out of me.. shear size alone is awesome!

Pictures taken at about 50 yards..

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murby
I would never hunt a grizzly.. not enough of them.

Depends on where you're at. There are lots of them in Alaska and Canada. The Alaskan Brown is actually the same thing biologically. Bears within 75 miles of the coast are considered Browns and those more than 75 miles are classified as grizzly. Neither are anywhere near scarce outside the lower 48

But if I did, I'd bring a big BIG gun... I wouldn't even think of going after one of these things with anything less than a .308.. I'd take a .50 BMG if I owned one.

you ever tried to tote a 50 BMG? All the one's I've seen weigh in at about 18-20 lbs. I doubt you'll tote one very far on a bear hunt. I'll happily hunt anything in N/A with a 30-06 or a 7mm Mag. I've done Africa 5 times and have never carried anything bigger than a 375 H&H over there.
I have a buddy that did a Tundra Grizzly hunt in Canada a few years back. He got a good boar. Tundra grizzly's aren't really very big, 400 lbs or so but the rug made out of it is simply outstanding. The hair is at least 5 inches thick and every one of them is tipped with silver or blonde. I'd hunt them in a heart beat if I had the chance but I've got other things higher on my list right now.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

While I've never owned a 30-06, I do believe it is more powerful than a .308 if I remember correctly.. about 20% more rings a bell for some reason...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
...And if my plan should fail we can always send the Californicators up to Montana...
Too late. We've already been infested with them.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
Too late. We've already been infested with them.
I know. And it would be a dirty trick to pull on a neighbor.

Another of my favorite bumper stickers. Seen in Montana and Idaho, but applicable in other places as well:

DONT CALIFORNICATE MY STATE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.