Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big buck contests?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

A remote is handy indeed.

There's a lesson in there somewhere but I'm still searching for what it is. Bet my dog knows. I'll ask her when she wakes up.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about this thread for a bit and have to ask... what's the difference if someone joins a competition or not?

Everyone has a tag. Everyone is trying to harvest mature whitetail bucks. They compare their harvest afterwards and someone gets a dumb prize or recognition... I wouldn't sign up, but really don't see the harm in it.

If everything is done legal legal, then what's the difference if a group of hunters wants to get together and compare their bucks? It's done on here all the time.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
I thought about this thread for a bit and have to ask... what's the difference if someone joins a competition or not?

Everyone has a tag. Everyone is trying to harvest mature whitetail bucks. They compare their harvest afterwards and someone gets a dumb prize or recognition... I wouldn't sign up, but really don't see the harm in it.

If everything is done legal legal, then what's the difference if a group of hunters wants to get together and compare their bucks? It's done on here all the time.
Thats kinda what i was thinking to.this site even has its own big buck contest.i dont think most trophy hunters set out to win a trophy,harvesting a large buck that you have put alot of time and effort is the real trophy.But i can only speak about the contests iv witnessed myself.I admit im selective myself when it comes to deer.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Psylocide

The ones who brag about their kills, and show pictures probably will enter a contest.

Some us hunt for the love of the hunt, and have no interest in it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The ones who brag about their kills, and show pictures probably will enter a contest.

Exactly.

When I was a kid being taught to hunt by my dad and grand dad I learned to have a solemn reverence for an animal I killed.

Had I ever taken a big buck or bull then used it to "win" a rifle or maybe a set of truck tires my grandpa would have had a talk with me. Out of respect for him I'll never claim a prize.......assuming I kill anything prize worthy in the future......
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad taught me the same way. I try to not push my ways on others. It's just the way I feel.

Others are free to do as they please.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

I actually run one where I work. It is fun with people you know but as far as the big ones at gun shops and such I am not a big fan. With mine, it just gives the group something to shoot the breeze about and see what everyone is getting and mabey win the pot at the end of the season.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Exactly.

When I was a kid being taught to hunt by my dad and grand dad I learned to have a solemn reverence for an animal I killed.

Had I ever taken a big buck or bull then used it to "win" a rifle or maybe a set of truck tires my grandpa would have had a talk with me. Out of respect for him I'll never claim a prize.......assuming I kill anything prize worthy in the future......
Never been to one of those,i think the top prize at the ones i did attend was a free dinner.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

You've never shared a picture of a buck (or any animal for that matter) that you've harvested?

I do it for the love of the hunt... I love it so much that I know other people want to share in the hunt and, being that this is "huntingnet.com," live vicariously through some of these posts.

Really, I don't see how that makes one a braggart.

But, YMMV.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
I actually run one where I work. It is fun with people you know but as far as the big ones at gun shops and such I am not a big fan. With mine, it just gives the group something to shoot the breeze about and see what everyone is getting and mabey win the pot at the end of the season.
A local tire store runs a contest here every year and I admit I do stop in and see the pics of who has taken what so far. But then it's a small town and I know most of the people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.