Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Arrow Set Up (ELK) **UPDATE** >

Arrow Set Up (ELK) **UPDATE**

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Arrow Set Up (ELK) **UPDATE**

Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going outfitted, many outfitters also do not allow them.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
If you are going outfitted, many outfitters also do not allow them.
That's also a new on me! Where did you glean that information?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

This Is Getting A Little Off topic!!! Never Had Better Luck than With A Rage 2 Blade (Huge Hole)But will keep my options open...Ill be on A DIY Hunt On Private Land!
So Whats Your Arrow Set UP!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's also a new on me! Where did you glean that information?
By doing research on lots of various outfitters for archery elk hunts. It's usually posted on their web site, typically in the "equipment to bring" section.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Typical Buck

You'll hear a lot of guys spouting off high numbers of arrow weight. Most arrows even full length will never hit 500 grains of total arrow weight. Back in the day before I knew what I was doing in archery I shot a 90# bow using XX78 2317 arrow that has 13.28 gpi at 31" of length. 20 grains for the insert and 15 grains for the nock and lastly 125 grain Nap Thunderhead.

Grand total 571 grains of arrow being pushed at 288fps.

Now after years of proper research my new set up is a 28" draw length out of a 70# bow. Using ICS bone collectors at 9.3 gpi it starts off like this. 28.5" arrow is 265.05 grains plus 12 grain nock, 15 grain insert and 125 grain Muzzy 3blade.

Grand total 417.05 grains of arrow at 265 fps.

I lost arrow weight and I lost speed. Do I miss it? For slamming an arrow through bone and bragging rights yes. For accuracy and being able to shoot sitting flat on the ground no. I could shoot the big bow standing up well but I've missed opportunity's to shoot elk because I could not draw in awkward positions. It's not just a matter of opinion but common sense. I would say your set up will be just fine and aim for the heart. Better to miss an elk low than hit one to high and send that arrow through the "VOID".
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Blackelk....great advice!
thinkin about buying a new bowtech! So this mite change my plain and get me too a heavier arrow without loosing speed ..thx
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Iowawhitetails, I know there are a lot more knowlegable guys out there from out west that can address your questions than a flatlander from the mid west but here's my 2 cents.. My son-in-law and I archery hunt for elk in CO and he hit a good 5x5 broadside at 19 yards behind the front leg about mid heighth of the body. A very solid hit, i was standing right beside him when he shot. It didn't bleed externally much more than a thimble full of blood. It took us over 3 hours of being on hands and knees trying to trail him. finally did find him and had a 4finger size hole in his side and bled extensively internally. He was using a 2 blade rage, 80# Alpha Max. We've killed lots of whitetails and turkeys with these broadheads. But penitration is an issue with these very tough hided animals. This year as we prepare to go again i'm going to go to a fixed blade but SIL has bought some new Rage 3 blades that have a chisel tip with a twist. He's gonna try these. Sorry this in't specific advice but just some experience with Rages. Good luck, If you go you'll get hooked, we have.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

One Big Elk.....GREAT Advice!!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

UPDATE Just Bought a New Bow!!
2013 Bowtech Experience
29" draw
70#s
(beating up on my buddys DESTROYER LE in the chrono sssshhhh)

ARROW SETUP
Looking at going with a Gold tip kinetic XT 300
450g
should be rite arounf 85 ke @ 0 yds and 70ke @ 100 yds

thanks for all the good advice

Last edited by IOWAWHITETAILS; 03-10-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on new bow. Did you like your HHA sight and will you use it on your new bow? I have one also but is the slide up and down one not the dial (soninlaw has the dial). I really like mine. Is 450 GT right spline for 70# ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.