HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Set Up (ELK) **UPDATE**
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

You'll hear a lot of guys spouting off high numbers of arrow weight. Most arrows even full length will never hit 500 grains of total arrow weight. Back in the day before I knew what I was doing in archery I shot a 90# bow using XX78 2317 arrow that has 13.28 gpi at 31" of length. 20 grains for the insert and 15 grains for the nock and lastly 125 grain Nap Thunderhead.

Grand total 571 grains of arrow being pushed at 288fps.

Now after years of proper research my new set up is a 28" draw length out of a 70# bow. Using ICS bone collectors at 9.3 gpi it starts off like this. 28.5" arrow is 265.05 grains plus 12 grain nock, 15 grain insert and 125 grain Muzzy 3blade.

Grand total 417.05 grains of arrow at 265 fps.

I lost arrow weight and I lost speed. Do I miss it? For slamming an arrow through bone and bragging rights yes. For accuracy and being able to shoot sitting flat on the ground no. I could shoot the big bow standing up well but I've missed opportunity's to shoot elk because I could not draw in awkward positions. It's not just a matter of opinion but common sense. I would say your set up will be just fine and aim for the heart. Better to miss an elk low than hit one to high and send that arrow through the "VOID".