HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Set Up (ELK) **UPDATE**
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM
onebigelk
Fork Horn

Iowawhitetails, I know there are a lot more knowlegable guys out there from out west that can address your questions than a flatlander from the mid west but here's my 2 cents.. My son-in-law and I archery hunt for elk in CO and he hit a good 5x5 broadside at 19 yards behind the front leg about mid heighth of the body. A very solid hit, i was standing right beside him when he shot. It didn't bleed externally much more than a thimble full of blood. It took us over 3 hours of being on hands and knees trying to trail him. finally did find him and had a 4finger size hole in his side and bled extensively internally. He was using a 2 blade rage, 80# Alpha Max. We've killed lots of whitetails and turkeys with these broadheads. But penitration is an issue with these very tough hided animals. This year as we prepare to go again i'm going to go to a fixed blade but SIL has bought some new Rage 3 blades that have a chisel tip with a twist. He's gonna try these. Sorry this in't specific advice but just some experience with Rages. Good luck, If you go you'll get hooked, we have.