Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose and rain

Old 09-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default Moose and rain

I leave Wednesday for moose hunting in Canada. The weather prediction shows rain the first 5 days.[:' (] Do the moose respond to calls in the rain? I know they like clear and cold, but what about the rain? Come on, I need some optimism please.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 AM

Default RE: Moose and rain

Rain, smain. Better then warm and sunny. I find the moose move better on overcast and drizzlely days. One advantage is any tracks you find will be fresh.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:23 AM

The rain will also help you smell your way to one Kip! They certainly do stink when they are wet![X(] Good luck to ya I' ll be up there next week with Nub[:-]
AL
Old 09-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, 24 more hours and Im on my way for a few days of scouting, then hunting. I cant wait.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yuck - rain and cold, never a good time.

BUT over the years I have found that moose will remain active during the rain - especially during this time of year. It always seemed to me that the only thing slowing down their activity during the pre-rut/rut is HOT weather. So long as it' s not hot, I' d say you stand a chance at seeing some good movement.

And with the woods being wet it' ll make it all that much easier for you to sneak up on a big bull and get a shot.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Still hunting in the rain, now your in my wheelhouse. No noise from you, lets you get right down personal with Bullwinkle. You don' t have to be crazy to hunt in the rain but it helps, GOOD LUCK TO ALL.