Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 mauser goin bear hunting?!? >

mauser goin bear hunting?!?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mauser goin bear hunting?!?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default mauser goin bear hunting?!?

this is my first time in the big game forum i do believe...my dad been going bear hunting the past few years and always left me behind so i dont miss so much school because bear season is 3 days before thanksgiving and then its thanksgiving vacation then deer rifle season starts that monday and i miss school to hunt so he leaves me at home...this year im 16 and my grades are always pretty good and i make up what i miss so he knows i will do what it takes...he told me i can go with him and a bunch of guys from work...he has off work from sunday before bear on monday until the first friday or so in buck season so i got a heck of a trip! i cant wait...he never sees bears but its a nice time to be out and theres always a chance a bear might run by..theres defiently bear in the areas he hunts but theyve never taken one yet...im just looking for some tips to maybe give me a little edge over finding a good spot to bear hunt...do you bear hunt wide open hard woods or thickets? im going to be in the mountains of NW pennsylvania...the bear populations isnt HUGE but they are out there....i think they go scouting the sunday before and hunt for the 3 days...so we will hunt mornings...drive a bit before lunch then hunt the afternoon until dark..i think thats what they do....we got about 6-10 guys i really dont know...im really excited even if i dont see a bear it will still be fun....and im off school and work for about 2 weeks or more!....any tips on helping me find a bear? i know i dont have alot of time to scout or anything so that hurts...but we do know the area well and know bears use it...weve found scat and such sign....but my dads not really serious its just another reason to get out and hunt and the bear will be a great bonus.....id love to get a bear....anyone have any tips or sites that will help me out? i never even seen a wild bear yet....thanx alot...
Old 09-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: mauser goin bear hunting?!?

I don' t have any advise for you, but just wanted to tell you good luck! Sounds like even if you don' t get a bear you and your dad will have some nice time together!
Old 09-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx hntngirl...we will have a blast if it all falls how its supposed to...and it should...me and my mauser....together for 2 weeks! lol...my dad finally bought a mauser this year too...he thinks hes the baddest thing out there now....but he forgets whos has already taken game and proven itself! lol....i cant wait...it will be a blast....and if one of us get a bear it will just be even better...
Old 09-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Mauser are you baiting?? or just sitting out and watching fields and stuff? Either way if I were you I would buy some Sternos and burn some oney or Brown Sugar around while you hunt this gets the bears running into you. And you want to find the thickest darkest scariest looking bush you can find bears are very timid animals the more bush they have the better they feel. Hope this Helps

Good Luck
Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

no baiting or scents alowed at all...what do bears feed on alot in the late fall early winter?? that might help me narrow down the selection of areas a bit....thanx alot...
Old 09-12-2003, 03:11 PM

I grew up in upstate NY and used to see some bear while deer hunting. You most likely won' t find em in open hardwood country. All the ones I come across was in ledgy, rock cliff areas. Get up on the ledges and push through them slowly. Be careful cause you get em' up out of their beds alot that way and thye' re sometimes a little grumpy bout being woke up.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Mauser bears will feed on the most easily aviable food source still look for thick bush the thicker the better and remeber the bears best weapon is his nose they have an amazing sense of smell. The eat everything from bugs to berrys to fruit to grasses what ever they can find! Hope this helps. It help me get my bear this year hopefully you can get yours to!