Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Big game

Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Hunting Big game

I was wondering if anybody can help me out.I' m trying to get info on what kind of big game animals that I can hunt during the spring and summer.The boss says that I can longer go out west to hunt elk unless I take the whole family and thats when kids go back to school . So can anybody give me any ideas on the spring and summer hunts?

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 09-06-2003, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Big game

Spring Bear and Turkey hunts are about all that come to mind. Maybe a little negotiation with the Boss will allow an Elk hunt on occaision? Or maybe taking the family would not be out of the question, education does not occur only in the classroom.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can hunt hogs all year long in many states. Then you have the turkey, and bear in the spring as Coastie said.

Here is an idea though. Arrange it with the teacher(s) to get the kids their work that they will be missing while elk hunting and actually take it with you and they can do it while on the hunting trip. Or you could get their work in advance and they could do it before the hunt.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:01 PM

Down here every area has it' s own rules but there' s always somewhere to hunt Feral goat, Pigs, Axis deer, mouflon sheep, feral sheep, and there is a blacktail season in the fall. Allways somewhere to hunt 365 days a year tho. and alot of year round weakends only areas. If you ever make it over here on vacation, don' t forget you gun or bow.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:22 PM

spring bear and I believe august you can caribou hunt.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alaska:

Black bear, no closed season, best times early May to late June
Brown Bear, season ends around May 31st in most areas
Caribou, some seasons don' t close, other areas open July 1st or August 1st.
Sheep, August 10th
Old 09-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like an " opportunity" to renegotiate with " the boss" . I' d try to be diplomatic, but explain it' s an important part of my life to be able to hunt, too.

From Duluth, the only big game I know of that is early in that area is black bear. As you probably know, the season opened there last Monday.

Otherwise, MEA or other long weekends to take the " kids" and " boss" with might be a possibility farther from home. But it' s tough in the summer. And even if you get a big animal in late summer, if there is a season, how would you cool it down quickly to keep it from spoiling? Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Varmints. Good shooting!!
Old 09-07-2003, 12:36 AM

Some of the states have an antelope season in late august,(usually a draw though) or if it is just taking the kids I know in my younger days as long as my grades were good none of my teacers dreamed of seeing me during elk season, at least my grades were good for one quarter a year
Old 09-07-2003, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys. This deal is the best I can do with the wife. I use to go every year for two weeks for elk and 1 week for turkeys and that was fine until our son turned 3 and last year he practically gave her a nervous break down[:-] like they say boys will be boys but seriuosly I always wanted to get them involved in my hunting and my daughter who is 8 now has always went deer hunting with me and now is begging and crying when she can not go with me for elk and turkeys, and the wife complains she goes no where with me so this was the best deal that we came up with.

MINNFINN yeah I' m still trying for yogi. but he still wants to come in well after dark. did you get a permit to hunt them?

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]

Quick Reply: Hunting Big game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.