Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Altitude sickness

Old 09-13-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Altitude sickness

' Round here Tim we see lots of folks who get the full boat of symptoms as low as 8,000' . Kids seem to be more suceptible than anyone, Overweight Men 35 years plus next. I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that physical conditioning does not play a significant role in suceptibility to altitude related problems as do the large cadre of world-class mountaineers that live in my area, and the SAR teams. I would, however concede that real hard-core mountaineers have a tendency to push themselves very hard at times in very high and harsh environments, making them prone to serious altitude problems. (but that is usually a psychological/ego based elevation of risk)
Old 09-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Spike

Just wanted to resond and thank everone for their comment/suggestions. I will take them all into consideration..

Beans Morocco, I will be hunting the third season in the Ouray area Unit 64 & 65. Sound like thats close to you. This is my first time hunting Colorado, so thats about all I know at this time. I hear the area is really breath taking, (no pun intended). We will stay right in Ouray, and then travel to the hunting spots. Any points of interest I should look into?

Again, thank you all for your input on Altitude Sickness !!!!!!

latts
Old 09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like you will do ok staying in Ouray. I would check out the hot springs there!

To add one thing to what has been said. Take rolaids/antacid. 3-4 tablets every 4-6 hours. Saw a doctors article on altitude that said that studies showed this helped also. I take 3 three times daily for the first several days.

Also, I wouldn' t take the aspirin before hand. You don' t want to bleed if you happen to cut yourself. Have not seen any medical source that recommended this or not, so I can' t reliable badmouth it, but what I have always done is take either aspirin or ibuprophen when I get there for headaches and muscle sorness. I would recommned ibprophen.

Water has been mentioned, but can' t be emphasized enough

Also, listen to eveyone on the caffeine and alcohol. It makes a big difference to avoid it for a few days before and after you arrive. I usually start taking either in small amounts 4-5 days after arrival. Can usually tolerate it by then.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Eat lots of bacon an' other pork products. Ever seen a hog with altitude sickness? Nosiree Joe! Fry ' em up good with plenty of breading an' wash it down with a nice lager, followed by a cup of joe an' a healthy bowel movement. Ain' t never seed somebody followin' that routine git altitude sickness.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:57 PM

...I knew I could count on ' ya, BJ!