Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Altitude sickness

Old 09-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default Altitude sickness

Heading to Colorado this fall for a first time Elk/Deer hunt. During conversations with other hunters, they mentioned altitude sickness. Looking for advice on how to prepare for this. I’ve herd maybe taking an aspirin a day for a week prior to the trip to thin out my blood. Does this make sense? I’ve been on an exercise program for a while to ready myself physically. Any advice on how to ready myself for altitude sickness would be a great help in stopping an exciting hunt from turning sour.

Thanks in advance……..

latts
Old 09-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Altitude sickness

Have you been at higher altitudes before and if so did you have any problems? I think just about everyone has some impact, but others so severely they have to get to lower elevations immediately.

You can get a prescription from your Doc, but probably the easiest thing to do is be well hydrated, don' t drink alcohol and get here a few days before the season to acclimate and you should be fine. Good luck on your hunt
Old 09-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I suffered the first year out there with some pretty severe headaches. Since then, I' ve done much better by preparing and taking time once I get there. I usually take an aspirin a day, walk alot of hills, and drink a ton of water. Water will do alot for you as it' s very dry out there. I usually stay at my friend' s place in Denver one night before heading to the mountains. Plus, when we arrive, I move really slow with everything I do and don' t do much the first day other than setup camp. Take your time and don' t do too much the first day. Drink water until you can' t drink anymore...then drink some more....
Old 09-10-2003, 08:24 AM

Latts:

Just go slow to start. I have not tried the asprin routine - maybe I will this year. My first year I had major headaches (dull like a hangover type) in WY at 3-4K feet. Several years since I have not had a problem, we try to get in a day ahead to acclimate and I keep well hydrated even at 8-9K feet. If you are in good physical shape I think it helps. I also don' t have any alcohol in camp and go light on caffine.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing about altitude sickness is that everyone gets it, just to varying degrees. There are 2 things that majorly help that have already been mentioned. Try to spend a night at an elevation partially up the mountain. If you go from 800' to 10,000' in a day, your going to have problems. The other one is the water thing. Dehydration is a huge factor in altitude sickness. Drink even when your not thirsty.

I' ve heard of the asprin thing, but I really have no idea if it' s fact of fiction, I would lean towards fiction though.

If you do become ill when hunting, move down the mountain! There are people who die from altitude sickness.

Also, don' t let something like this get in your head and think that it' s going to affect your hunt. Most cases of altitude sickness can be taken care of with a few asprin and a nap.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 AM

I' m leaving today and will arrive at my buddies brothers place in Glenwood Springs, CO tomorrow afternoon. We plan on walking for a while in the afternoon, then slip in the hot tub for a while, then a good night of sleep. Drive about 3 hours Friday AM, then into camp mid morning. We' ve done this before and the day and a half prior to the hunt, definitely helps.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 AM

Latts: I am writing this from my office which sits at just above 9,300 ft above sea level. I' ve been in the Ski Business for over 20 years and have dealt with countless cases of simple altitude sickness and a few cases of the far more dangerous H.A.P.E. and H.A.C.E., which can be fatal. Your age, weight and overall physical condition will determine your suceptibility and then anything you may or may not do when you get to altitude. As C.E. said: Remaining hydrated is the single most important thing you can do. This means drinking enough water before and during your entire stay to make your urine run absolutely clear every time you pee. Since altitude sickness is basically symptoms felt from your body trying to crank up its' metabolism to compensate for reduction of oxygen, keeping the very cells of your body well hydrated can ward off the effects. The rare air in the Colorado high country is also very dry. So here is the synopsis:

1. Drink TONS of water.

2. The aspirin thing is OK, but take it easy. One symptom of altitude sickness is nausea. Aspirin is Salicylic Acid. Use buffered aspirin.

3. Avoid heavy, greasy food if you feel queasy. BeaverJack' s propensity for lard based meals prepared in a greasy dutch oven is OK for flinty ' ol Muleskinners, but not flatlanders.

4. Easy on the alcohol and coffee, both of which are dehydrating. Too much booze also contracts blood vessels, which will raise hell with your brain.

5. Bring along a little Melatonin to help you sleep if you have this difficulty.

6. Pace yourself, rest when you feel tired. After all, you' re not just hunting, you' re on vacation fer cryin' out loud!

I' m sure you' ll be fine. Just listen to your body and act accordingly...and Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:02 PM

I just got back from North Western CO. I had a great time!! I life in New York at about 300 ft. above sea level. We flew to Denver and backpacked to 10,000ft. all in the same day. There were four of us and none of us had bad altitude sickness. One of the guys had headaches for the first few days.

I think the best thing that you can do is get in great shape! All four of us on this trip had been running or biking everyday for months. This was my fourth trip and the first two I was not in great shape and experienced headaches.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 PM

Probably the best point of all, nyelkman. Be in the best shape you can be, and if you' re packing some extra pounds. (on yer' back or otherwise) take it easy. The NW part of the Western Slope is also relatively low but DRY Up here in the Gunny Basin, Parts of the San Juans, Summit County, South Park and the Leadville area (upper Ark Basin) you start out at 9,000+
Old 09-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Altitude sickness has no corelation to fitness. In fact fitter people can be more susceptable. Hydration is very important as is acclimatisation.
Shouldn' t be any serious effects below 10,000 feet. Above 12,000 feet everyone will feel some sort of symptomns.
Climb high and sleep low, gradually increase your elevation.
I have worked on 1,000 feet increase per day, (Once over 12,000 feet.) and it worked well for me.
I have spent time climbing in the Himalaya mountains, I spent 3 months at 17,000 feet.
When returning to sealevel, I felt like superman.

The worst effected seem to be those who have big goals on limited timeframes.
There is a drug available called Diamox, to releive symptomns, however personally I prefer not to use it, as it can mask what' s happening in your body and you can fail to recognise when things are getting worse.
You can do all the right things and yet still have an off-day, I once suffered pulmonary odemia at 19,500 feet, yet had been fine at 23,000 feet the day before. This was mainly due to a combination of dehydration and severe cold.

Quick Reply: Altitude sickness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.