Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Motion Sickness

Old 03-25-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Motion Sickness

Any suggestions in helping cure motion sickness? I have a 5 month old Lab that is okay with short rides in the car. He is good for about a 1/2hr. Also does better on the open roads than back dirt roads. Unfortunately the back roads are where we have to travel to get to the fields. Some people say he should out grow this sickness if I continue to take him on short rides and keep him used to the traveling. I have also been told that they may never out grow this and may get worse. I hope this is not the case as I was really looking forward to a partner for the fields and lakes this Summer. Any suggestions from those who have experienced this problem?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Motion Sickness

This is the first time I have heard of a dog with motion sickness in a car. Have you talked to your vet? Are there pills available til he gets used to riding?

We always tell our puppy buyers to take their puppies for short rides at regular intervals to get them used to riding and so they don't associate the car only with the vet. What I usually hear about is the puppy crying, so this is a new one to me. Hopefully someone comes along with some info on this problem.

Bruce
Old 03-26-2004, 02:10 PM

The same thing thats used on humans works well in dogs and that is Dramamine. You can buy it over-the-counter at you local pharmacy, walmart, k-mart, etc. Give 1mg per pound of body weight about an hour or so before travel. (for example a 25 lb dog would get 25mg, a 50# dog would get 50mg, 100# - 100mg).

Another trick is to cover the kennel you transport him in with a tarp or something so he can't see out. Its the constant blur during travel that causes the motion sickness in the first place.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Great info, wvvet. Is there any chance that a dog would get over this?

Bruce
Old 03-26-2004, 02:36 PM

We've had hounds that had it bad. Most did outgrow or get accustomed to riding and the back of my pickup bed must be as bumpy as all get out. Have one dog that will still do it occassionally still others that did get sick have outgrown. We used short trips like going to the store, etc I'd pack the dog in the back. good luck, juniorpc.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:14 PM

I have an English Setter that had the same issues that you said your dog has. After about 30 minutes everything came up. I started taking him everywhere I went, again less than 30 minutes, and he is much better now. He only gets sick every now and then anymore. He went through the entire bird season this year without getting sick and our trip to hunt is about 2 hours each way. Good luck and I hope your pup gets better.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 PM

i had the same problem with a pup. she got over it in time. i started to cover the kennel and that seemed to help. but within a few months the dog just quit doing it. i have never again had a problem. the dramamine does work, but can cause the dog to get real sleepy. this isn't the best when they are going to hunt in a few hours. i found this out the hard way[&:]
Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Hogan...you've recieved good advice. Let me add one more thing you may or may not be aware of. Dogs, (especially puppies) will vomit regularly if they have been fed within 1 to 3 hours prior to going for a ride. For instance, when I'm going hunting...I feed them well the night before and they get no food until after we get home from the days hunt. Ocasionally, we give snacks while hunting, but they usually won't eat them until they're done hunting.

If we have a trip planned to the vet, they get no food until after they get home. Nerves are another cause for them to vomit.

Good luck,

Rick
Old 03-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-30-2004, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Bruce H

Great info, wvvet. Is there any chance that a dog would get over this?

Bruce
In fact most puppies do outgrow this. Unfortunately some don't.