Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose hunting questions

Old 09-05-2003, 08:40 PM

Default Moose hunting questions

I am going on my first moose hunt in a couple of weeks. This is something new to me, and would apperciate any suggestions or coments. I would like to know more about hunting during the rut, and if calling moose really works.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:41 PM
nub

Default RE: Moose hunting questions

Calling a bull moose in during the rut is the only way to go if you ask me. Hunting with a bow makes it even more intense. Are you going gun or bow? Guided or unguided? You should try to find a few moose videos to improve those dreams your about to start experiencing. Where you hunting Brett? Theres a few moose hunters who visit these boards. Its getting close for me, my anuall bowhunt is at 20 days away and ticking faster every day.[:-]
Old 09-05-2003, 11:36 PM

I am going on an ungided hunt in the Lee Metcalf Wildreness in Montana. I have been hunting and guding elk and deer hunts in that area for a long time. I even have gotten a mountain goat out of that country. I am really looking forward to this hunt, it is two weeks away and I already can' t sleep at night. Thank you for your advice.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A word of advise............the best place to shoot a moose is as close to your vehicle as possible

Ron
Old 09-06-2003, 12:35 AM

Where I live there are lots of moose, but unfortunately it' s really tough to draw a tag. Calling can work great when the bulls are rutting. If you don' t have a call you can make a cheap and effective one from a coffee can and a shoestring. Punch a hole in the bottom of the can, run the shoestring through so it comes out the bottom, and tie a knot to secure it. By wetting the string, holding it firmly between two fingers at the bottom of the can and pulling, it produces a pretty realistic rutting bull call.

Follow Ron' s advice and shoot one close to the vehicle unless you' re using horses or you' re into self-torture.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if in rut the best way to hunt moose is by calling them. A simple birch bark call and the 0000WWWAAAA is all it takes to grunt like a bull moose, if unfamilar a tape or video session will have you calling in no time. The cow call is a little tougher but once you get the hang of her you should be fine. You can also add racking trees with a shed or shoulder blade to add realism to your moose grunt. One thing a bull moose does is respond to challenges very well, IMHO. Another method if hunting near water is pour water out of a can and call.

If not in the call then things get a little tricky, I would concentrate on blow downs, meadows(bush or meadow feeding areas) & water sources. Trails that lead to these areas is yet another option. High vantage points for spot & stalks are a good option when the terrain allows, let the bull bed down and go after him.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:13 AM

Yeah it' s good to scout potential areas around water sources or (around here at least) young-growth clearcuts and grassy meadows. Know where they like to hang out and if they aren' t coming to the calls well, try glassing those areas and try the spot-and-stalk approach. Another thing to watch for is wallows in low-lying muddy areas. I understand that elks use wallows as well though, so check out the tracks to determine if it' s frequented by a bull moose or not.

skeeter I' m curious.......what do you mean by " pour water out of a can and call" ?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

The water pouring sounds like a moose having a pi$$ and helps if an animal gets hung up.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry Split I should have explained it better[:' (]...thanks seadog! The pouring water trick and racking trees can often bring that bull those extra yards, but sometimes just before call(rut) the pouring of the water, coupled with bull calling can also produce some silent results-meaning no verbal communication from the real bull but he is coming to see who' s in his neighbourhood!!!!

Something else I forgot to mention is if a bull gets hung up in some thicket or diamond willows(and your using a shed or shoulder blade as a visual) try and get him to see that as another bull working over a tree and bull grunt. I often will take the shed or shoulder and wave slowly out the side of some brush and then use a stick and my free hand to rack the limbs all the while throwing the grunts out(keep his attention).
Old 09-06-2003, 11:21 AM

Before even calling Moose conditions have to be right. Cold calm days are generally best for calling. Mornings and evenings,IMHO, are the best time to call. If its too windy you can just about forget about calling. Up here the rut is usually around the last week of September and first couple of weeks of October(generally the best period to be calling).

Skeeter handled the Bull call pretty well. A oooowahh sound best describes it.

For calling cows I use this method. A birch bark cone can be use to amplify the call.(also helps to put up to your ear to hear a response from long range)

First plug both sides of your nose with fore-fingers of each hand. Now cup both open hands around your mouth. You can put your thumbs down under you chin if you like. Now roll roll toungue back inside your mouth pressing it up against the roof of your mouth.

Now your ready to call:

Using a RRRRRRRRR sound, you want the call to sound kinda " nasally" ..
Start softly with a low pitch and steadily increase the pitch and loudness of your call then drop off gradually at the end.

Call softly at first, you never know how close by they will be. I like to do a few shorter soft calls then wait for 15-20 minutes. Then try some louder longer cow calls then wait again 15-20 minutes. If no response by then try using the amplifier cone.

Every Moose has his own voice and they all sound a little different. Unless u mess up the call really bad they generally aren' t that fussy if they are in the mood.
As stated before pouring water, raking over willows(old shoulder blades work good for this), bull calls, imitating a Moose walking in water. I have use the tin can method and it works good too.

If hunting by water and there is a slight breeze set-up so that the wind carries your scent out over the water. That way the Moose cannot get downwind of you.. You may be able to fool his Ears but you will never fool his Nose. Also if your Moose is within sight be careful not to call if you think he can see you.. they can pinpoint the location of the call and if they don' t see another Moose they may become suspicious. Its best to have 1 caller and 1 shooter, the caller brings the Moose in closer and the shooter waits to ambush.

Good Luck.