Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose Questions

Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moose Questions

I am looking for a reasonably priced Archery Moose hunt and would like to spend $3200 or less. Can anyone recommend a good and honest outfitter? I am not necessarily looking for a 60" Bull but would like to get a Bull none the less. The hunt would most likely be for 2 people and I would like for us both to be able to get Bull tags (some outfitters only give one bull tag per 2 hunters). I have seen some very reasonably priced hunts in Ontario and also some in Newfoundland and Alberta. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moose Questions

Have you considered a DIY hunt in Alaska? AK doesn't require a guide for non-resident moose hunters and many areas have over the counter tags for non-res. Instead of paying a guide you could save a ton of dough and pay ahunt planner like Larry Bartlett to do the logistics work for you and put you into a good area. I'm not too up to speed on Canadian hunt costs, but I'm guessing that most guided moose hunts will run a lot more than $3200/head, especially when you add in all the GST. Up here most quality guided moose hunts start at around $7k and that doesn't include licenses, trophy fees, or the cost of getting your critter home, etc. Moose hunts aren't easy on your wallet or your back.

AK Jeff
Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I di not know that you could do a DIY Mosse hunt in AK. I thought that you needed an outfitter or guide. Thanks for clearing that up for me! My dad has a buddy that has a place in AK and I could probably get some info from him. I have found quite a few outfitters in Canada that are in my price range but would like to see if anyone could refer me to an outfitter that they have used personally and have had a good experience. I have found hunts in ON that were well under $2000. I am not sure if they were all guided or not but I am an experienced hunter and would not be afraid to go out on my own with a little direction. Do you have any info for Larry Bartlett? Website or phone number?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Read some of my passed post ,most of what you need on an alaska DIY and great photos are there.Jeff knows you cann't beat alaska for monster bulls and a hunt you can afford.

[/align]
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Larry Bartlett's company is called Pristine Ventures. He specializes in hunt planning services where he does the logistics work and lines you up with a good area, reputable transportation, and if necessary gear like rafts, etc. If you have a strong back and some decent hunting/outdoor savy you can save a ton of money and skip the fully guided hunt. The real hard part is just finding an area that isn't overrun with people and/or seriously lacking in moose. Larry's a real straight shooter so I'd highly recommend you email or call him. You probably don't have enough time to plan a hunt for this fall, but there's always next fall. Some other recommendations...
[ul][*]Get a copy of Wayne Kubat's Love, Thunder, and Bull 2. It's a great movieabout how to call moose[*]Buy a Bull Magnet fiberglass moose call and learn how to use it[*]Get a copy of Bartlett's Guide to Float Hunting Alaska and read it cover to cover...twice[*]Get a copy of Bartlett's new DVD on Float Hunting Alaska. It's entertaining and educational[/ul]
http://www.pristineventures.com/unguidedHuntPlanning.html

If you do go on a moose hunt get the best packframe setup you can afford. Moose are back breakers and if you skimp on your pack you'll pay dearly for it.

AK Jeff