Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose hunting

Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default moose hunting

I am applying for a moose tag in Saskatchewan for this fall. It will be with an outfitter thathas strictly been a fishing outfitter and he is applying for the tag on my behalf. While he will be there to assist me, I will basically be on my own. I am looking for help on calling or locating. From past experience in seeing moose in certain areas while fishing and listening to the fishing guides talking about where they have seen them in the past I have some idea where to look, but I do feel like I would be extremely lucky to find one. I will be there starting 9/9/07 for one week. Any tips would be appreciated.

I intend to use my 7 mag w/ 165 grain bullets. Is this a good moose load?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: moose hunting

my dad made a moose call out of a big soup can and a long piece of flat shoes lace. (not the rope kind) anywho when you wet the string and pull it gradually with consistany all the way to the end, it sounds like a cow giving the im so lonely sound. The can creats a deep voiced whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Anyways just look for a huge black spot when your looking for them and dont worry cuz sometimes they wont so any indication of being hit, theyll just look at you and start getting wobbly legs.(alot of the time they dont hump uplike a deer.) im only 14 and dont know one thing about bulllets but i got a cow this year with my single shot 30-30 so ur 7 mag should be good, but i dont know a thing about loads so yaaaa.....
Old 03-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your datesisn't likelyto put you in the heat of rut here. Though cow calling certainlycan be used. Get your self a video or audio and mimic it with your voice box, using a birchbark or similar megaphone will allow you to throw your calls a bit further but moose have excellent hearing and even cupped hands will work. Calls you can use Bull grunts are OOwaaH sound. Best way I can describe a cow call is a nasily domestic beef cow, ERRR vs Moo. Pinching the nose can help get a more nasily sound. Lots of variances to cow talk but I prefer a 3 stack call of 4 sec, 8 sec and finish with 4-6 sec for locating. IfI know the rut is on I do a whining or pleading call it is a short followed by a long call. Other sounds you can make are pouring of water from a cup or can into the lake to simulate a bull or cow urinating in the water. Raking of trees with a heavy stick or shoulder blade. The shoulder blade or even the palm of your hand can be used if you have a bull hang up in the thick stuff but have a visual, moving it in an slow/methodical up and down manner to simulate a bull can pull him a few more steps in the right direction. This of course works only if your on land!

Since you have some area knowledge and calling may not be the best, try finding their feeding areas. I 'll assume you will be hunting via water or boat?? If so look for shallow bays and other aresthat offer the moose food. These areas often have a combination of moose likes/needs, access to waterfor drinking, weeds in the shallows -feed/ browse such as red willows- feed, shade. Once you find these areas walk the shoreline and look for sign, be it tracks, dropping, wallows, beds in the shadeor tips of the browse missing. Just like deer can sit and wait them out, if the area is remote like most are then they can come in at anytime. If the moose aren't their within the first 90 min of legal in the morning try some calling. I wait 15 min between calls unless I get a response. FYI, it is legal to use a motorized boat to hunt moose with &second it is legal to shoot from a boat as long as the motor is not running. Moose don't fear much in the forest, theyrarily spook from a constant hum of an engine, so as you approach your feeding bays, etc you want to keep the motor at low level hum, basically a troll!

Remember their nose, it is huge and highly senstive one wiff of you and they are gone - so factor that in to everything you do. Hearing is excellent& eyesight is poor. Speed and agility is amazing them big legs can carry them very quickly/effectively. If you bump a moosebut he hasn't smelt you grunt at him and advance as quickly/carefully as possible, they rarily go far. Just like a whitetail calling they like to lead by their nose and circle the wagons when ever possible.

I use a 7mm rem mag, my favorite moose bulletsare Barnes TSX or Nosler Parts for moose. Though anything that works on elk will work on moose as well. You never mentioned what 165 gr bullet you were considering, but if its the Seirra Gameking I'd personally use something a little more robust on the account of the big shoulder balde moose possess and the possiblity you'll use it as a POA.

Good Luck
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks skeeter. I do have some 165 seirra boatails that I was planning on using, but sounds like I may want to use a little larger, tougher bullet.