Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Unit 21 - Elk

Old 09-22-2003, 10:00 AM

Default RE: CO Unit 21 - Elk

Got the leftover tags - we are set - leaving three weeks from tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:22 PM

Well no success for either of us. We did see a 4x4 on friday morning, on the west side of Cathedral Bluffs. Saturday we went further west, near UT border. Started our walk about when the sun was coming up. I started South up a ridge line when I heard one bugle behind me. I turned around and walked toward them, saw about a dozen with a nice 6x6 but they must have winded my dad or something because they took off running. We found them again later in the day but never did get to see them long enough for a shot. Only heard the thunder of them running through the trees. Good luck to you. Find some water holes! We didn' t find very many with water in them. The ones we did had fresh sign around them.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 AM

thanks for the update - too bad you had no luck - it is nice that you got close enough to see them - but I assume that you will be trying again in another unlimited season. Could you have taken a crack at the 4x4 or 6x6 with a rifle or were you out of range for that too?

Is it quite dry there still? I thought with the rain/snow over the last few weeks water conditions would have improved. I got the BLM maps last night and it appears that there are a ton of streams in the unit. though if water is hard to come by those drainages may be dry too. We should not be too far from the Piceance Creek maybe that has some water in it.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:45 PM

I would have been able to take a shot at either bull with a rifle.
It is very dry in the area. There is hardly ever any water in the " streams" and drainages you see on the map. Piceance creek will have water it always does but there is a lot of private land in the valley. Along the white river near monument gulch is a pretty good bet as well. No more elk for me this year, only permitted one license (except certain circumstances, which I didn' t meet).
Old 09-24-2003, 07:17 AM

too bad - I was under the impression that residents could attempt another with a different method (bow/rifle/ML) if the original tag was not filled. that really makes the truck trans problem painful if you had to give up a weekend.

The dryness thing must be an issue with the western slope because others are saying on this board that there is good water.

How long a drive do you figure it is from Denver to Rifle? Just doing some planning. We will stop in Rifle to get water and supplies before heading up. Apparently there is a sporting goods store in town to get additional maps and some local G2 - my friend has been there several times and apparently the folks that run the place are pretty good to us " out of state folk"

In the past, when you shoot an elk do you skin/quarter it up and pack it out or do you attempt to get close with a truck

Are the residents too worried about the CWD in the elk population? when in WY last year I talked with a game warden and he was unafraid of the issue - he indicated that even if they had one test positive for CWD in the unit, the whole unit got labeled as CWD. I guess if I am lucky enough to get one I will quarter it with gloves on - I have been carrying surgical gloves in WY for the deer population as well in years past.

let me know when you get a chance
Old 09-24-2003, 12:49 PM

Ya I lost a weekend because of the truck. Really sucked. My wife has a late season cow tag for area 10 so I am sure she will fill our freezer for us.

The NW area is high mountain desert, not much water in the summer. Southern part of the western slope is a lot better.

Denver to Rifle should take around 3 hours, a little less if you push the speed limit and stay with traffic. Oh and weather being good also, you will have two passes to go over that can get snow anytime now.

Our experience with elk in the area has been to drive the truck through the sagebrush and load it whole most of the time. We have skinned and quartered (deboned also) and packed out, not too far though. You can usually get within a 1/2 mile with the truck.

I wasn' t worried about CWD at all. I think they have found one that tested positive over there and it was a road kill, probably sick already. The area was labeled CWD because of the one.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:06 AM

time flies and I am busier than I want to be at work - too much to do - so the trip will sneak up on me and I will not be as prepared as i want - when i get on this board it is hard to keep my mind off the hunt.

Ever see a rattlesnake out there? They probably will be stiffened up if it is cool/cold
Old 09-29-2003, 11:25 AM

I have never seen a rattlesnake, and I have been all over the area in the summer also. I hope you are prepared enough! It will be fun I am sure! Good luck to you...
Old 09-30-2003, 08:54 AM

I am doing pretty well - I have been running about 4-5 times/week and doing miscellaneous exercises situps pushups etc. I adjusted well last year at about the same elevation and similar regimen - the terrain in WY may have been rockier though. We' ll see when we get there. I need to track down a spot in Rifle to get water before we head up. I also will make one more trip to the range to throw in some last minute practice. Thanks for all the info.