Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Unit 21 - Elk

Old 09-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Default CO Unit 21 - Elk

Does anyone out there have info on Colorado Unit 21 for elk? I have hunted in WY for the past few years and am venturing to CO for the first time. Topos look like a mix of terrain (some steep, some sloped meadow and dark timber) with a fair amount of available water. The DOW indicates this is an " undersubscribed" area - any reason why?? Too much private land maybe? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:42 AM

Default RE: CO Unit 21 - Elk

cwd...at least thats my take...
Old 09-04-2003, 11:48 AM

could be - though 21 is not listed by DOW as CWD - the others around it are however....the WY hunts I have done are CWD too - not to bothered by it
Old 09-04-2003, 12:03 PM

you' re right...lots of blm...looks better for late season, but then again- i spent the last 10 years hunting for parking spaces.
best...
Old 09-05-2003, 02:04 PM

Unit 21 has a lot of elk in it, very large area. They are spread out though. The bulls are not huge since it is an open area. I grew up in unit 21, hunted many game there as well. Some of the lower elevation holds small groups of elk all year long. There is some private land so be sure to have a BLM map since most of the PL will not be posted as such. I will try to answer as many questions as I can.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:34 PM

ATrueHoyt:

thanks for the reply. I am expecting some info soon on exactly where we will be, I only know that we have to cross some private land via trailhead (marathon pipeline, I think) to get back in to the BLM land we intend to hunt - so not much to go on. Other friends have been in the area over the past 10 years and it has been productive. Does CO have any other type of stamp we need to buy before the hunt other than the license? In WY you need a $10 conservation stamp that was a mandatory thing. How are the roads out there....we are not taking ATVs only trucks with tire chains. If we get lucky and put an animal down we may go try to rent a pack horse or mule if it is prohibitive to pack it out. thanks for the help - I will need it - I always get antsy going into new ground.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:22 PM

You will not need any extra items other than your license and proof of hunters safety, if born after 1949. Roads will be fine unless it gets really wet (I doubt it though). The area is all oil and gas fields. There are roads everywhere. You should be able to get close enough to any animal you get down by road. If you are going to be in Rangely at all let me know.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:05 PM

I have gotten some directions - we will be taking HW-13 N out of Rifle then Route 5/Piceance Creek Rd. west to Route 26/Black Sulphur Creek and then south. I still do not have a pinpointed spot as yet. I guess when I consider O&G fields I think flat land....but I am sure that it is not flat there. I am glad to know that there are decent roads in the area though.

The topos indicate a mix of meadows and timber, probably rocks as well. What is the real story on terrain?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:23 PM

Sigma7, area 21 has changed a little, well a lot since I last looked. CR26 is the East border. I have hunted that area many times. It is high desert, very large sagebrush flats with steep mountains surrounding. Timber areas are pine and aspen trees, flats are pinyon and cedar trees (hard to hunt). There is a lot of hills covered in oak brush. You will be able to glass a lot of land! I have mainly hunted the Barcus creek and Stake springs draw areas. Black sulphur creek starts at about 6100 feet.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:16 AM

It is good to be able to think about a glass and stalk hunt. My trip to WY last year was pretty much a dark timber hunt...only very small meadows...I guess I could have shot hill to hill if I had seen something nice - but it was pushing the capability of rifle and hunter. Most of the guys who have gone to unit 21 in past years were getting a bit long in the tooth and would not be getting into the back country too far. I intend to range out a fair amount in search of sign and animals. It looks like we will be able to set camp and get in a full day of scouting the area ahead of time. I work with a guy that went in 6 mi on horses from the nearest rd. (somewhere north of rifle) and had to get out fast - big winter strom came in - they left a whole buch of equipment on the mountain - and never got back for it.

Ever get mt. lions or bear in that area? Thinking of a sidearm....

Quick Reply: CO Unit 21 - Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.