Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Fall Plans?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fall Plans?

Who else is getting all of their fall plans lined up, and if so what are you going after?

Last weekend I booked a flight for a Kodiak Island mountain goat and Sitka blacktail hunt from October 6-14th. The goat population on Kodiak is exploding so the odds of success for the three of us should be good, provided the weather cooperates while we're there. The snow has been deep this year so deer numbers will likely be down, but that's secondary to goat hunting. If we can shoot a few deer it'll be a nice bonus.

I also stopped by the P.O. this morning and dropped my Montana application in the mail. I opted to buy both deer and elk general licenses but if I don't draw a special elk permit I'll probably just focus on mule deer. I'll probably head back to the Big Sky for that hunt in mid November. That should give enough time for the weather to set in and get the elk moving, just in case I decide to chase them too.

I'm still debating a good mountain pack trip into the Alaska Range for earlier this fall too. Either caribou in August or moose in early September. I doubt I'll have time to do both and since the seasons don't overlap in the area I'll have to do one or the other. My inclination for the time being is to go for moose. So many hunts, so little time.

What's everybody else have on tap?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Going for bull elk in muzzleloader season, and a muley buck in 2nd rifle season. ML for both hunts.

Maybe a bear hunt too, but I haven't decided yet.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

What a terrible quandry you got there Jeff. Not enough time to get all your hunts in! lol I'm hoping to draw an archery elk tag and also a trophy muley tag I've been putting in for forever. Probably won't make it back to Alaska this season but I got my big moose last year and have two hunts planned for next year up your way, so I'll make it through!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=North Wind;3919968]What a terrible quandry you got there Jeff. Not enough time to get all your hunts in! lol quote]

Make no mistake North Wind, I'm spoiled and I know it. I have awesome connections, but I put a ton of effort into hunting too.

My Montana deer and elk general licenses came in the mail yesterday. The goal there is to get a nice mulie with my great-grandfather's 30-06 Ackley Improved. If the luck of the draw is on my side I'll hit the hills with my father-in-law and his mule string and chase elk. He's pretty much guaranteed an elk permit with his points and landowner preference, so if he hasn't gotten one by the time I get there I'll at least tag along. It's pretty tough to beat riding up a mountain on a good mule and watching wapiti at day break, even if you aren't the one doing the shooting.

My Kodiak hunting partners and I have our gear list broken down and with our weight capacity we'll be able to bring back at least one mountain goat and one Sitka blacktail each. If we can skim some of the gear weight down we can possibly bring back more deer because the limit is 3 each.

Who else has their fall plans at least preliminarily mapped out? Let's hear it.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Spike

sent our elk apps in last week for colorado muzzleloader. i have enough points to draw and my partners have 3 each so their channces are pretty good. I will have my nephew with us this time and he will be archery hunting. really looking forward to it. we are doing a drop camp in the san juans, sept 8-16. cant wait!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

Already sent in my deer draws for GMU 15, 2dr season. Now, kid n myself wait on the draw gods.
Dan
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

MT Elk
NM desert sheep

IA whitetail
IL whitetail
Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado 2nd rifle season for bull elk. Applied for a deer tag also but doubt I'll draw with only 1 pt.

Then Illinois in December for whitetails.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

application deadline for CO is tomorrow

Put in for private land licenses for elk, deer and antelope.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Spike

Sent for bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and moose in Colorado. Got 10 points for each. Sent for muzzleloader elk, thrid season deer, and antelope also. Should draw the elk and antelope, got enough points. The othe ones will be luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.