HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall Plans?
Thread: Fall Plans?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 PM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Default Fall Plans?

Who else is getting all of their fall plans lined up, and if so what are you going after?

Last weekend I booked a flight for a Kodiak Island mountain goat and Sitka blacktail hunt from October 6-14th. The goat population on Kodiak is exploding so the odds of success for the three of us should be good, provided the weather cooperates while we're there. The snow has been deep this year so deer numbers will likely be down, but that's secondary to goat hunting. If we can shoot a few deer it'll be a nice bonus.

I also stopped by the P.O. this morning and dropped my Montana application in the mail. I opted to buy both deer and elk general licenses but if I don't draw a special elk permit I'll probably just focus on mule deer. I'll probably head back to the Big Sky for that hunt in mid November. That should give enough time for the weather to set in and get the elk moving, just in case I decide to chase them too.

I'm still debating a good mountain pack trip into the Alaska Range for earlier this fall too. Either caribou in August or moose in early September. I doubt I'll have time to do both and since the seasons don't overlap in the area I'll have to do one or the other. My inclination for the time being is to go for moose. So many hunts, so little time.

What's everybody else have on tap?