Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt..  Any help would be appreciated.. >

Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt.. Any help would be appreciated..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt.. Any help would be appreciated..

Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt.. Any help would be appreciated..

We have talked to some people in the area and have a general idea as to where to go but any additional help would be greatly appreciated! We are going to be staying in the Bozeman area and and are towing up a Jeep to be able to get up in the mountains and away from foot traffic so to speak and just looking for suggestions on some areas if anyone is familiar to get into some bears.. We are leaving on the 22nd and start hunting on the 23rd through that whole week.

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dsconnell
We have talked to some people in the area and have a general idea as to where to go but any additional help would be greatly appreciated! We are going to be staying in the Bozeman area and and are towing up a Jeep to be able to get up in the mountains and away from foot traffic so to speak and just looking for suggestions on some areas if anyone is familiar to get into some bears.. We are leaving on the 22nd and start hunting on the 23rd through that whole week.

Thanks for your time!
You can find bears pretty much anywhere around Bozeman. I've seen them up around Flathead Pass and south of Bridger Bowl in the Bridgers. One of my college buddies rode his bike up Hyalite after school one evening and shot one. The Bear Trap Canyon/Lee Metcalf Wilderness over on the Madison River is another decent spot not too far from town. There's plenty of trail systems between Bozeman and Big Sky that are worth checking out too.

I don't know what you mean about the Jeep though. Most roads that are legal to take a vehicle on you could drive about any highway vehicle on. It's not like you'll be doing any kind of off-roading in that area, because almost all old forest service type roads are off limits to vehicles. Bozeman is kind of a hiking Mecca so you'll probably find "foot traffic" anywhere there's a trail.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Spike

Good to know Jeff and thanks for the information.. We will keep these in mind.. Bear trap canyon is where we were going to go. DNR officer from the area pointed us to there..

The officer told my buddy as big and heavy as his truck is he may get stuck so we are towing the jeep just in case.. But I was also thinking that we would be able to get back into some more remote spots.. Doesnt sound like that is the case though.. Sounds like we will be hiking it..

Are there many color phase bears in the area?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, but most of them are called "Grizzlies".

Make sure you have your bear identification down, that area has lots of both kinds of bears.

If you can find some closed logging roads on public land that is the best bet for spring bear hunting based on my limited experience. Hikers don't spend as much time on the old closed logging roads and the bears love the extra vegatation around the roads.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Spike

Also concentrate your attention to the south and southwest facing slopes. Those are the first to lose the snow and the first to green up. Try to get up higher in elevation too, most of the first out bears you'll find in the lower elevations are Grizzlies, so you'l want to be above that and catch the blacks coming out of their dens and moving to feeding area's. Good luck, be safe and hope you guy's bag a big one!!

P.S. Even though you will be hunting black bears, don't forget to bring along a can of bear spray for the grizzlies, just in case.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Spike

Good information! Thanks guys.. Am a week away and ready to roll!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Good to know Jeff and thanks for the information.. We will keep these in mind.. Bear trap canyon is where we were going to go. DNR officer from the area pointed us to there..

The officer told my buddy as big and heavy as his truck is he may get stuck so we are towing the jeep just in case.. But I was also thinking that we would be able to get back into some more remote spots.. Doesnt sound like that is the case though.. Sounds like we will be hiking it..

Whoever told you that you were going to Jeep into the backcountry was jerking you around. Roads around Bozeman are either paved or they're good gravel roads that end where the non-motorized areas start. Unless there's a surprise late dump of snow (which there could well be this year) you could get most places in a 2-wheel drive car. You certainly aren't going to Jeep into the Bear Trap Canyon because it's a wilderness area. It's part of the Lee Metcalf Wilderness and it's pretty dang rugged.

http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/fo/dillo...bear_trap.html

Most black bear around there are black, but there are cinnamons too. I wouldn't hold out for one though. Don't be one of those tools that gets buck fever and shoots a grizzly. It's not hard at all to tell the difference.